remington 597 vs ruger 10/22 which is better?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottomcoon

New to the site!
Reaction score
one couldn't melt down a 597 Remington & skim off enough good metal to make a stock screw for a 10/22. Remington has consistently produced poor quality rim fires for years. I don't think that's just my opinion. try trading your 597 for a 10/22.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As the last poster said - "blah, blah, blah,...just my opinion" Well, I am quoting him out of context but I am also making his statement more accurate.

If you are planning to use the weapon as is or with just an added scope - then I'd say it's a very close call. The 597 generally costs less and shoots as well overall as the 10/22. In fact, depending on where you go asking, many folks will swear that the 597 is more accurate. They both are good solid designs and you can still get a .22 magnum in the 597 - long discontinued in the 10/22.

Now, if you want to customize, swap stocks, etc. then the 10/22 becomes the clear favorite. You do have a few options for the 597 but there are many more available for the 10/22.

As always, analyze your intended use and see where your needs lie. I don't think you'll be unhappy with either of these good solid base-line 22 caliber rifles.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As the last poster said - "blah, blah, blah,...just my opinion" Well, I am quoting him out of context but I am also making his statement more accurate.

If you are planning to use the weapon as is or with just an added scope - then I'd say it's a very close call. The 597 generally costs less and shoots as well overall as the 10/22. In fact, depending on where you go asking, many folks will swear that the 597 is more accurate. They both are good solid designs and you can still get a .22 magnum in the 597 - long discontinued in the 10/22.

Now, if you want to customize, swap stocks, etc. then the 10/22 becomes the clear favorite. You do have a few options for the 597 but there are many more available for the 10/22.

As always, analyze your intended use and see where your needs lie. I don't think you'll be unhappy with either of these good solid base-line 22 caliber rifles.

^^ All this.

I've got both, in both .22 and .22 Mag. As far as how they shoot, and accuracy, I couldn't tell you there was any diff, at all. There isn't much "neat stuff" for the 597's though. No hi cap mags, or anything else really, at least that I want or have looked for. I think they're both decent rifles.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The better rifle is the one you can shoot more effectively with.

I prefer the 10/22, because I love having one receiver, yet a few different guns. Bolts the 10/22 is a great platform for extreme accuracy

Eastok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have both and both seem to be equally accurate in stock form. Ruger has been time tested for sure though. Magazines in 597 are the only thing I've ever had an issue with which the ruger performs flawlessly in that area.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No hi cap mags, or anything else really, at least that I want or have looked for. I think they're both decent rifles.

Remington makes normal capacity mags that hold 30 rounds for the 597. CDNN had them in stock a week ago and they were still $13.00.

Take that for what it's worth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom