RickN mowing his yard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know you don't get it, but frankly the seat safety is a bigger problem for me than just using common sense. I really wish you guys could have seen my first riding mower. It was old back in the 80s. 5hp, belt drive and 8 inch wheels all around. No safety at all. I mowed a 10 acre place with that little back breaker. As to why I would rather fix it myself, part is if we take it back to Lowes they will just want to swap it for another and frankly getting the bagger setup mounted on this one was a pain. I hurt for almost a week after that. 2nd, people with health issues tend to look for the easy way to do things, and many end up bed ridden. I refuse to do that. As long as I can do things myself I will. They told my father he would never walk again. Two weeks later he pushed himself until he was mowing his own yard. Lived for about 20 years longer than expected by doing that. When he finally could not, he only lasted a few months in a nursing home. No real reason why outside of he had just given up.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know you don't get it, but frankly the seat safety is a bigger problem for me than just using common sense. I really wish you guys could have seen my first riding mower. It was old back in the 80s. 5hp, belt drive and 8 inch wheels all around. No safety at all. I mowed a 10 acre place with that little back breaker. As to why I would rather fix it myself, part is if we take it back to Lowes they will just want to swap it for another and frankly getting the bagger setup mounted on this one was a pain. I hurt for almost a week after that. 2nd, people with health issues tend to look for the easy way to do things, and many end up bed ridden. I refuse to do that. As long as I can do things myself I will. They told my father he would never walk again. Two weeks later he pushed himself until he was mowing his own yard. Lived for about 20 years longer than expected by doing that. When he finally could not, he only lasted a few months in a nursing home. No real reason why outside of he had just given up.
I agree with that reasoning. I just really think altering the wiring or safeties on a brand new mower is a bad idea. That might also void the warranty. Only way I would do that is if I were an actual mower expert.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I fixed the push mower and we mowed a bit of the back yard. Also it was not the seat switch on the rider but I had cut the wires long enough to splice back together if I so choose too. Going to take the battery in to have it tested. Other than that I am stumped.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I have greatly enjoyed the mower saga.
mowing.jpeg

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I fixed the push mower and we mowed a bit of the back yard. Also it was not the seat switch on the rider but I had cut the wires long enough to splice back together if I so choose too. Going to take the battery in to have it tested. Other than that I am stumped.
Do you have a multimeter? What's the voltage showing? Sometimes those little batteries go bad quickly. I've had a couple go bad on a dual sport motorcycle. One time, my friend's car was in the shop and I had to take him on my motorcycle. The extra weight caused me to kill it at a light in bricktown. So two not small guys on a smallish motorcycle and I had to run and jump on to start it. While he waited on the side of the road. People were honking and laughing.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a multimeter? What's the voltage showing? Sometimes those little batteries go bad quickly. I've had a couple go bad on a dual sport motorcycle. One time, my friend's car was in the shop and I had to take him on my motorcycle. The extra weight caused me to kill it at a light in bricktown. So two not small guys on a smallish motorcycle and I had to run and jump on to start it. While he waited on the side of the road. People were honking and laughing.
My meter does not show that exact but it is around the 10 volt range it seems. Even after being charged. That is why I want to have it tested. I am just surprised it will not even click.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first thing i do when getting a mower is bypass the seat safety, just take the button out of bottom of seat and zip tie in the depressed position, cause i have a lot of yards that i have to sit on the uphill side of the seat to counter balance to get the yard mowed been doing it commercially for over 20 years this time around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom