rock island 1911s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glockwork1987

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
can anyone give me some feedback on the rock island 1911s? i am a newbie to pistols and i am thinking about getting one. (i dont have the money to get a super high quality one) so i am considering the ria1911s. has anyone experianced any problems with them,ftf,fte,etc....please anything is welcome good or bad, just trying to see what most of osa has to say about them.. have read good and bad online, but not sure if they are just hateing or not because it out preformed there 1000$ piece.. thanks Nick aka glockwork1987

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and i know i spelled performed wrong lol....:lmfao:

coulda hit edit and fixed it and nobody woulda known...

they are great pistols and reliable. I don't recall any jams, misfeeds, or anything when I shot mine but might have had 1 or 2 on some questionable ammo

wideloadtimmy has it now and has had issues with the slide locking back but none other than that

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are great for the price. But at the same time, you get what you pay for. The finish sucks, grips are generic, sights are not easily upgraded. But for $450, they shoot pretty good. Guess it just depends on what all you want. If your totally satisfied with a bone stock gun for life, get it. If you want to change grips, sights, magwell, refinish, internals, then just start with a higher end gun like a kimber, or Springfield and save money in the long run...

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
good gun, but dont go dropping $400-600 on mods on it after you realize that you like 1911s! Youd have been better off to get a springer or a more "loaded" gun off the get go.

Hoss

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that they are a good gun for the price, but the fit and finish isn't as good as higher priced 1911s. I bought the basic GI model for about $300 it tinker with, if I messed it up I wasn't out alot of money. The only thing I didn't really like about the GI model was the hammer bite from not having a beavertail and the sites are not very good.

If you get a tactical model it will have upgraded sights (I think they may even be novak cut), slotted trigger, extended ambi safety, beavertail and full length guide rod. Here is a link to a review and more details for the tactical model. http://www.m1911.org/ezine/RIATactical.htm

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1.)Rock islands are CAST steel frame, slides, and barrels. That's why they're cheap. I wouldn't expect one to be a lifelong CCW. But, it's better than paying $2500 for a gun that cost $500 to make. But, I would pay a few hundred more
for hand fitted piece without MIM parts. "IMHO"

Forged parts have a more consistent metallic structure and are less likely to have internal flaws, voids, etc. Properly cast components are perfectly serviceable, just not as high a quality.

Latest posts

Top Bottom