Ruger Super Redhawk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know you have some gas checked LBT's.....in the 370gr range IIRC, time for a Casull!

Man, I keep looking at that box of bullets, and wondering when I'm going to load them in my S&W 65-5, 45 Colt. Maybe just a few.

Just came from my smith. Two ways to go.

$180.00 to cut my barrel down and rethread, or buy another barrel from numerich, shorten, rethread it, and install.
Both ways would cost the same, but I would have an extra barrel if ever needed.

Still have to send it out for magna porting.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or cut it off to be flush with ur frame & notch it like a shot gun choke for removal or to replace with original.Screw or dove tail front sight on frame like Alaskan.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I would buy a new gun. You know you want one. There is a guy on ruger forum that has new redhawks in 45 colt for like 800. Those plus p's would be awful tempting in that thing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if u cut it off at the back it will have to have front sight timed , threaded, & cyl gap reset

Is that yours in the pic? I want a 5 1/2". What length is yours?

The smith said he could do what you said^^^, but if I buy another barrel, it saves him some time, and I'll have a spare barrel if I ever want to go back to the 7 1/4.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis, honest question here, what is your opinion about the .454 Alaskan? Another question - do they still make it? I have seen conflicting reports about the Alaskan .454 still being in production.

Update: I went to the Ruger website, and they do in fact still make the .454 as well as the .480, I could have sworn the .480 was out of production.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Dennis, honest question here, what is your opinion about the .454 Alaskan? Another question - do they still make it? I have seen conflicting reports about the Alaskan .454 still being in production.

Update: I went to the Ruger website, and they do in fact still make the .454 as well as the .480, I could have sworn the .480 was out of production.

Sometimes I think Ruger decides its calibers for the year by putting them all in a hat and drawing 25 out.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I keep looking at that box of bullets, and wondering when I'm going to load them in my S&W 65-5, 45 Colt. Maybe just a few.

Just came from my smith. Two ways to go.

$180.00 to cut my barrel down and rethread, or buy another barrel from numerich, shorten, rethread it, and install.
Both ways would cost the same, but I would have an extra barrel if ever needed.

Still have to send it out for magna porting.

For what it's worth......
I had a competent gunsmith work on my stainless Super Redhawk, when he tried to remove the barrel for the muzzle brake the stainless threads galled. He could not remove or reinstall the barrel, the pistol was trash.
Ruger was not any help because they don't build them to be taken apart.
At least he did me right and replaced it and did some extra work to make up for the inconvenience.
I hope if your pistol is stainless your smith knows the trick (heat?) to remove the barrel without galling the threads.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OH!!! OH Dennis 460 S&W 002.jpg 460 S&W

Latest posts

Top Bottom