Ruger Super Redhawk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to Alaska for a self toured back country vacation in the future. I'll be taking my .44 mag super red hawk for bears. It currently sports the 7 1/4" barrel.

Its tough to find any holster other than a shoulder rig or an uncle mikes. I want to carry it on my hip, so I decided to shorten the barrel to 5-5 1/2" length. Holsters are totally available in that length.

Anybody swapped barrels and have a short one for sale, or is my smith going to have to take mine off and rethread it after cutting it off?

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't find what your looking for I have a 5" you are welcome to borrow for your trip. Good luck though. Show pics of you cut down gun. IIRC 264killer cut down his super Redhawk to a 4" gun here a while back.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer!
My smith can cut it down, but I'm thinking a new barrel might be cheaper and he agrees. I want to magna port it as well.

If a SHTF a bear charge comes, it takes seconds, and I want to not have as much barrel rise for follow up shots.

The chances are slim to none that it will ever come to this, but it makes my wife feel better. We had a no problem encounter with a black bear on Victoria Island a couple of years ago and she is spooky now.

That was in Canada, so no hand guns allowed.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Throwing this out there, the guy is from Tulsa and talked with him at length at a gun show a few years ago. I don't have any full size 1911's or I'd do it.

http://460rowland.com/

I just read the link. I'll have to look more into the ballistics of the .460 Rowland from an independent source.

Most of the Alaskan guides recommend a minimum of a 300 grain hard cast bullet, at 1300 fps.

Interestingly enough, a Griz was killed by a hiker with a .45ACP last year. Must have got them in the right place.

A man that was charged by a moose and shot it in the head with a .44 mag HP put the moose down, and then ran up and shot it through the chest to finish it. The .44 mag round was only lodged in the skull and knocked it out for a second. The shots to the body killed it.

Read this in Shooters magazine this week.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That's pretty speedy with a 7.5" barrel, would think really hard to achieve with a shorter barrel. The Rowland loads I looked at that were heavier were 260gr going 1150ish.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, its approaching max load area. My 220 grain loads flatten the primers slightly. The Ruger is the only gun that can take that pressure for rack guns. I sure wouldn't put it through my smith.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How does a cross section look on a super. I would think the barrel profile is different under the lug compared to a regular regular Redhawk where I leaves the frame. They neve made a 5" super so any barrel you find will still have to be cut down anyway.

I can't find the thread now but a couple weeks ago there was a Redhawk for sale that started life as a 45 colt and a smith put a 5 shot casull cylinder in it. I believe it was a 5" gun. If I would have seen the thread in time I would own that thing. It would send a 300 to 1300 easy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom