Ruptured Achilles tendon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, anyone here ever have to have surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon? If so how long was the healing process and how much did it suck?
I'll ax da Mrs. She a PT. I can tell you soft tissue takes a good deal longer than a broken boner, er uh, bone

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife say 3 to 6 months recovery

6 To 8 weeks in a cast or cam boot (Chinese Jump Boot) non-weight bearing. Thats depending on your surgeons SOP.

This is only speaking in general terms, and does not include other circumstances

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i've heard the "suck" factor is real. Get a wheelchair to use around the house would be my recommendation. Crutches and me are dangerous lol. Thats what I did when I had my last knee surgery, no weight on it for 5 weeks so between a wheelchair that
i borrowed and a walker to help me hop to the toilet, It worked well for me.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey all, anyone here ever have to have surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon? If so how long was the healing process and how much did it suck?
Damn dude! Now tell us the story about you chaining yourself to a Jeep to save it from rolling down a hill.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yes. It’s a rough and long recovery. Both of mine with a ripped Planter Faciaitis on the right foot. Follow the recovery and physical therapy to the letter if you want it to be as short a recovery as possible. I used a hot and cold therapy on both of mine several times a day. Hot as you can stand water in a bucket and then ice cold water in another. 6 to 8 times a day.

Left foot three times, right foot one tendon with the ripped Planter Faciaitis.

Get a good set of knee pads. I crawled around on my knees the first few weeks each time.
This was before those knee roll around scooter were invented.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told "recovery could be up to 15 months, 6 minimum. 95% is best I could hope for.. or wear a splint boot for 6 months and see how healing goes, discuss surgery, again"

Elected the boot, 95 % healed, never will get better. No surgery. Talked with a couple of co-workers that wished they had took the boot, surgery was not much help, recovery sucked and PT was worse than what I had.

Severity of injury may make surgery the only option. I was off work for 6 months and no walking for first 3 of those.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tendons take a long time . Might be a year before you feel comfortable with it. Had tendon surgery on my right elbow. They cut it loose from the bone and cleaned the scar tissue off , drilled into the bone and sewed it back down.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn boy.....same leg as the weedeater accident?
Unfortunately.

Got up out of bed Sunday, took two steps and then felt a pop followed by sharp searing pain and choice words. What can I say, I've got talent 😀.

Had to wait until today to get the MRI, and see the surgeon on Thursday to see how good I tore things up. No pictures yet😁.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom