Ruptured Achilles tendon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey all, anyone here ever have to have surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon? If so how long was the healing process and how much did it suck?
I broke a bone spur in the tendon. It looked like a cat claw growing up into the tendon, the heel was stepped on while playing soccer. It hurt like…..🤬 I limped for weeks hoping it would heal on its own.
Surgeon cut the tendon from the bone and removed the bone spur. Reattached the tendon with screws. 6 weeks without putting any weight on it. I used a “knee crutch”, a peg leg device strapped to the knee. I could climb chairs with it. I also used a scooter, you can rent them or buy cheaper on marketplace. After the cast was removed I wore a boot for 4-6 weeks.
Then……a year later I broke the tendon spur in the other heel and got to do the process again.
They both healed fine, I did the physical therapy to the letter. Just a little stiffness on some mornings but I stretch it out and I’m good to go.
I’m really glad I got them both surgically repaired.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've heard the "suck" factor is real. Get a wheelchair to use around the house would be my recommendation. Crutches and me are dangerous lol. Thats what I did when I had my last knee surgery, no weight on it for 5 weeks so between a wheelchair that
i borrowed and a walker to help me hop to the toilet, It worked well for me.

Oh man ... I've heard the same. I had surgery on my right ankle and even now, several years later, I have trouble with swelling and neuropathic pain from the cut nerves. Though I will say warm (very warm) water soaks and light massage helps tremendously, as do compression socks.

I have the exact opposite advice re: crutches and walkers. I nearly killed myself several times with that damnec walker. I'll take a crutch (or crutches) or a cane any day. Those walkers ought to be outlawed. 🫨

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Knee scooter arrived today 🙌. Kiddo made sure to adorn it with an identification duck named Maynard.😆
1000000809.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom