S&W 325 .45 ACP snubby revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone own one? If so how do you like it. For that matter is is there anything you dont like about it. And finally does anyone know where to get one? Thanks-Ber

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck man - there was a guy on Gunbroker who had a bunch of them and I passed up my chance to snag one up - passed it over and now, I've regretted it every since.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sure have been looking hard at S&W 325PD ... 21oz empty
having to use moon clips is the only drawback

Buds has one new for $744... there's a used one for $650 on Gunsamerica site

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a pair of the model 1989, 325s with 3" barrels. I shoot hem quite often and have at times carried them in the past. I was so spoiled by the 325s that I sent my Mountain gun cylinder off and had it milled for moon clips. It will now shoot 45 lc and also 45 acp in moon clips.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at them back when they were in production and liked the concept except for one thing. That was the titanium cylinder. I owned a Smith with that once and just never liked it. Really had to baby it cleaning and S&W had ammo restrictions on mine. Now if they had a Night Guard then I would have gotten it. The Night Guard has a couple improvements (but just my opinion). First, it has a stainless cylinder and, second, better sights. I also think it looks better. The stainless cylinder cost is a few ounces but it's still a really light .45 ACP revolver. The Night Guard still has the Scandium so you still have to baby that a little (watch which solvents you use.)

I didn't get a 325 Night Guard when they came out because I already had picked up a 4" .45 ACP revolver in the meantime. However, I was without a .44 Special so I did pick up the 5 shot L-frame 396 Night Guard in that caliber. It has quickly become a favorite and as soon as it"s "Plug" gets here and installed it will become a carry gun.

You might find a 325 PD a few bucks less than the 325 NG but I wouldn't do it. BTW, I like the moon clips.

ber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have looked at the nightguard, but they seem to be as hard to find at the 325pd. These seem like a great carry option. I'm trying to stay caliber specific and I thought this would be a great option.

If anyof you have anymore info, or know where to find them let me know. Im trying to trade my no lock in the classifieds right now. Thanks guys.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked hard at the 325 NG myself since I'm a sucker for the .45 ACP round. From what I've read, the 325 is a nice revolver, but one reviewer wasn't too thrilled about it (clicky here) I have to say it feels really good in my hand, and points naturally, but I can see where the recoil would be an issue. IIRC, H&H had one in stock a month or two ago. The 325 NG has been on my to-get list for a while, but I haven't pulled the trigger on getting one yet (yuk yuk) :P

For carry, I would hesitate to use the NG, though. Huge frame, exposed hammer? No thanks. Bedside or truck gun, yes, but not under a shirt and definitely not in a pocket...

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
have never heard of ammo restriction with a titanium cylinder.
correct me if I'm wrong... ti is structurally stronger than stainless. which model was it?...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensile_strength

you don't have to baby titanium for cleaning. titanium is all but inert
main drawback to titanium is high cost ...special procedure for machining/fabrication in an inert atmosphere. ever try to drill titanium? if you overheat bit, ti will harden like armour plate.

talked to the folks at S&W about my 340PD and 337PD.... they told me to be careful with what solvents to clean the ti cylinder. what a crock! what they probably were doing is trying to protect the aluminum frame. which you do need to be careful of

you could dip a S&W airweight with titanium cylinder into a vat of acid. the entire gun would meld, but titanium cylinder would be fine.

I looked at them back when they were in production and liked the concept except for one thing. That was the titanium cylinder. I owned a Smith with that once and just never liked it. Really had to baby it cleaning and S&W had ammo restrictions on mine. .

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm always interested in others opinions of something I either like or dislike so I read Average Joe's review of the 325 Night Guard a couple of times. He had some good things to say about it but ended up not liking it. From his comments he would have disliked the 325 PD as well. One of his complaints I agree with and that is the grips. The ones that come on them are big spongy rubber that add a lot to the back of the grip. So it is a long reach for the average hand. The ones on my .44 Special (L frame, by the way -- not N frame as he stated) were taken off before I ever fired it. It feels perfect for me now. He did a fair amount of comparison to steel frame 4" revolvers or large automatics so I think he was comparing apples to oranges. He didn't care for the .45 ACP in a lightweight snub platform but that's the niche market it was designed for. There are plenty of full sized .45s out there but there are some people that just like large snubs. It is not intended to compete with the little pocket guns and I use mine to complement them rather than replace. Unless you are a Kangaroo I couldn't see them working in a pocket. However, an N frame can be concealed very well with the right holster even under a light shirt. I carried a steel .44 S&W Mountain Gun for several years in a Milt Sparks VMII. It concealed well and was not uncomfortable at all. Occasionally you just cannot carry a larger frame revolver but normally anyone can. I would prefer to have it (or both) than just a J frame in the pocket (which I normally have). Mine and my 442 go well together and I imagine the 325 would work as well. I've shown mine before but here they are:

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom