S&W 325 .45 ACP snubby revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
have never heard of ammo restriction with a titanium cylinder. as ti is structurally stronger than stainless. which model was it?...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensile_strength

you don't have to baby titanium for cleaning. titanium is all but inert
main drawback to titanium is high cost ...special procedure for machining/fabrication in an inert atmosphere. ever try to drill titanium? if you overheat bit, ti will harden like armour plate.

talked to the folks at S&W about my 340PD and 337PD.... they told me to be careful with what solvents to clean the ti cylinder. what a crock! what they probably were doing is trying to protect the aluminum frame. which you do need to be careful of

you could dip a S&W airweight with titanium cylinder into a vat of acid. the entire gun would meld, but titanium cylinder would be fine.

Here is a quote from an "older" 340PD manual. Maybe yours doesn't have it.

"Do not use Magnum loadings with bullet weights of less than 120
grains - This will reduce the possibility of premature erosion in
titanium alloy cylinders."

I agree that the solvents aren't the issue on the titanium cylinder. As I stated you still have to be careful with the NGs of the solvents and the Scandium frame. But, my 296 manual stated not to use wire brushes with the solvents, again due to erosion of the cylinder. My titanium framed 296 also stated on the barrel not to use bullets over 200 grain. The reasoning explained in the manual was that heavier bullets could jump the crimp locking up the cylinder.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
have never seen it... titanium is WAY more corrosion resistant than stainless and/or tool steel. wonder what they are referring to?

there's a warning printed on 340PD barrel
"not less than 120 gn bullet"

Here is a quote from an "older" 340PD manual. Maybe yours doesn't have it.

"Do not use Magnum loadings with bullet weights of less than 120
grains - This will reduce the possibility of premature erosion in
titanium alloy cylinders."

I agree that the solvents aren't the issue on the titanium cylinder. As I stated you still have to be careful with the NGs of the solvents and the Scandium frame. But, my 296 manual stated not to use wire brushes with the solvents, again due to erosion of the cylinder. My titanium framed 296 also stated on the barrel not to use bullets over 200 grain. The reasoning explained in the manual was that heavier bullets could jump the crimp locking up the cylinder.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not knocking your choice. If you like it that's fine. It was just that Titanium wasn't my choice...Scandium is sorta a pain too. I think the deal is that either of Smiths Titanium or Scandium are just an alloy with a minute amount of the *ium mixed in.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
besides being able to shoot .45acp, the titanium cylinder on 325PD is the main reason I want it. 21oz makes it packable for me.

here's my pair of S$W Titanium cylinder revolvers. yes the grimy one gets EDC. hoping to add 325PD sometime in the future. but a .22LR S&W revolver is up next.

.45 acp like 9mm and .22LR are the most affordable to shoot rounds.
having a super light revolver that shoots .45acp or 9mm has high appeal.

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_340pd337pd.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_340pd337pd2.JPG

man of many calibers

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see, that makes sence. I have a ruger blackhawk 45LC/ACP for the same reason. However, I have not shot enough rounds down the tube to make up for the extra price I paid for the gun compared to just buying a stadard revolver without the extra cylinder.

On a lighter note....
CY, with the use of my keen detective skills I see that the weapon is loaded and you are currently in violation of Box rule #1. If you do not comply with the box rules, then I am afraid I will have to report you to the box police.
(Look at the lower left corner of the bottom picture)

LOL

besides being able to shoot .45acp, the titanium cylinder on 325PD is the main reason I want it. 21oz makes it packable for me.

here's my pair of S$W Titanium cylinder revolvers. yes the grimy one gets EDC. hoping to add 325PD sometime in the future. but a .22LR S&W revolver is up next.

.45 acp like 9mm and .22LR are the most affordable to shoot rounds.
having a super light revolver that shoots .45acp or 9mm has high appeal.

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_340pd337pd.JPG

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_340pd337pd2.JPG

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
good eyes!!!

yup 340PD is loaded since it came directly out of my pocket for that pic :D

On a lighter note....
CY, with the use of my keen detective skills I see that the weapon is loaded and you are currently in violation of Box rule #1. If you do not comply with the box rules, then I am afraid I will have to report you to the box police.
(Look at the lower left corner of the bottom picture)

LOL

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom