S&W 325 .45 ACP snubby revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shame on you! That pic's been floating for some time now. Just some idiot who bought a reloading kit!!! Darwin will get him soon enough!

I've personally seen the aftermath of one that kaboomed in the hands of another member on here and read about at least one other instance.

Fact is, production manufacturing is all about spitting out a bunch of stuff as fast as you can whilst making money off the process - crap happens to steel just like it does with alloy (and design/manufacturing/qc flaws are present in them all).

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 625 is a 1989 model, I like it and have had no issues with it. The moon clips are a plus to me. Here's a pic:
ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt280_1chas11_100_0170.jpg

I wouldn't mind getting one of the new alloy revolvers if I could find one with out the lock. I've heard the light weight revolvers tend to deploy the locks with heavy recoil. Any thoughts on this happening.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw it happen on a lw .357 and have heard of others. Probably not as many as you hear of. I just took mine out. I'll try to put up a photo later this evening.

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
have never seen it... titanium is WAY more corrosion resistant than stainless and/or tool steel. wonder what they are referring to?

there's a warning printed on 340PD barrel
"not less than 120 gn bullet"

They are referring to erosion, not corrosion. The searing gasses and particles escaping at high speed tend to erode the frame. That is why Smith puts the little stainless strip above the barrel. The same thing happens to flash suppressors and muzzle breaks. It has also happened to the hands of new revolver shooters with poor instructors.

Rob

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the photos I promised. They are sorta quick as I gotta go watch the OU women play. The Night Guard has more of a flat finish than it appears here. The sheen is from the flash.
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Obviously you can tell it's there. It just plugs the hole, thus the name "Plug". However, the lock is out and can in no way freeze up the firearm. This .44 Special is a real shooter and I would hate to have passed it up because of the IL. It shoots much more accurately than an old 696 I had and carries much easier also. Don't get me wrong...I do like all steel guns, especially stainless. However I'll probably carry this much more than the 696.

Now, installation...

If you have never been inside a Smith revolver your first trip can be a little intimidating. It's not difficult but you need to know what you are doing. Generally, the worst that can happen is that you bugger up the screws or sideplate. You DO NOT want to do that. You need correct screwdriver heads for the job. I have an old Brownells Magna Tip screwdriver with about five bits that are made specifically for Smith revolvers. I don't know if you can still get this as I have had mine for years. It was a super investment for me. There is a step by step out there showing how to remove the IL. You do not need to go as far as it shows. When I took out the hammer and removed the flag I just pulled the spring off and then removed the lock. The most difficult part was putting the retaining clip on the Plug. You can do that or just use the spring and clip from the IL. Works either way. Here are the step by step photos. Have fun!

http://thehighroad.us/showthread.php?p=4969150#post4969150

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Halftime... I was picking up some ammo today at Big Boys and saw a 325 Night Guard there. I'm pretty sure it was new and didn't pay attention to the price but at least it's a source for one if anyone is interested.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the photos I promised. They are sorta quick as I gotta go watch the OU women play. The Night Guard has more of a flat finish than it appears here. The sheen is from the flash.
[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Obviously you can tell it's there. It just plugs the hole, thus the name "Plug". However, the lock is out and can in no way freeze up the firearm. This .44 Special is a real shooter and I would hate to have passed it up because of the IL. It shoots much more accurately than an old 696 I had and carries much easier also. Don't get me wrong...I do like all steel guns, especially stainless. However I'll probably carry this much more than the 696.

Now, installation...

If you have never been inside a Smith revolver your first trip can be a little intimidating. It's not difficult but you need to know what you are doing. Generally, the worst that can happen is that you bugger up the screws or sideplate. You DO NOT want to do that. You need correct screwdriver heads for the job. I have an old Brownells Magna Tip screwdriver with about five bits that are made specifically for Smith revolvers. I don't know if you can still get this as I have had mine for years. It was a super investment for me. There is a step by step out there showing how to remove the IL. You do not need to go as far as it shows. When I took out the hammer and removed the flag I just pulled the spring off and then removed the lock. The most difficult part was putting the retaining clip on the Plug. You can do that or just use the spring and clip from the IL. Works either way. Here are the step by step photos. Have fun!

http://thehighroad.us/showthread.php?p=4969150#post4969150

That's a gorgeous piece, bro! :clap3:

Just being nosy, what's the going price for one of those little fellers. :w000t:

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My 625 is a 1989 model, I like it and have had no issues with it. The moon clips are a plus to me. Here's a pic:
ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt280_1chas11_100_0170.jpg

I wouldn't mind getting one of the new alloy revolvers if I could find one with out the lock. I've heard the light weight revolvers tend to deploy the locks with heavy recoil. Any thoughts on this happening.

Sweet pistol. There is also another member that has a 625 snubbie and posted a pic in the "lets see the '45s" pic thread. Awesome guns.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't buy it... that's why they use Titanium in Jet engine rotors

have also been told by S&W customer service not to use certain cleaners on titanium cylinders. which is total BS... as Ti is all but inert.

They are referring to erosion, not corrosion. The searing gasses and particles escaping at high speed tend to erode the frame. That is why Smith puts the little stainless strip above the barrel. The same thing happens to flash suppressors and muzzle breaks. It has also happened to the hands of new revolver shooters with poor instructors.

Rob

Latest posts

Top Bottom