Salt mine in Hutchinson, KS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooper

Marksman
Reaction score
Wife and I went there several years ago. Well worth the trip down in the mine, and the tram ride was informative. If I went back I wouldn't bother with the tram ride, but I would indeed go back down the mine.

Then we went to Dodge City reenactment. That's a 2-hour tourist trap; enter and leave through the gift shop...

However, the Old Cowtown Museum in downtown Wichita is very much worth a visit. Outdoor mostly, houses moved on location, open to walk through. Probably 30 or more buildings.
We really enjoyed that visit.
When I was a kid in the 70's the Mainstreet in Dodge was pretty cool, there were several old west Acts, gunslingers, saloon dancers, etc. Over the years it dwindled to nothing. Just a place where the Old west used to be.
Now it is the Modern West, Feed Lots and Packing Plants, not much to look at, till it gets to the Grocery Store.
The area is still riddled with Crime though, that is exciting.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Did the mine yesterday afternoon, fairly interesting. The Yoder restaurant didn't disappoint whatsoever as usual. The extra tour back into the actual mining part where they went into more detail of the process and history was MUCH better than the rest of the normal tour. The displays and walk through tour part was "eh". The Civil Defense displays and fall out shelter history from the 50's and 60's was interesting. The massive size of it was interesting as well. 50a alone dedicated to storage. This was the highlight pic of the day though lol.

20241012_135229.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom