Salt mine in Hutchinson, KS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikePAC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been through that area dozens of times, but have never gone to the mine. Anyone been? Reviews seem pretty good. 68⁰ in the mine sounds pretty good on a 94⁰ weekend.
Great tour and close! Not many working mines where you can go 650 ft below surface. Wife won’t do it, I recommend it highly, as well as the Cosmosphere!

Hooper

Marksman
Reaction score
Figured the city would have gone to an RO system to filter that salt out, but that's a pretty good investment for a city that size.
Another note but, I lived in Meade, Ks. they had a lot of underground Electrical power lines, and owned there own Power Company. I went thru three winters there and as far as I can remember was never out of Power. Now in Western Okla. we are out of power at least 10 times per year at any time the wind blows. The wind was notoriously blowing in Western Ks. lots more than Here in OK. Seems like a lot of Kansas small towns are well prepared and ran very well. A lot of sharp mechanically inclined people live in rural Ks. towns. Great State in my OP. Your comment on water made me think of Old Meade, KS. memories. thanks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another note but, I lived in Meade, Ks. they had a lot of underground Electrical power lines, and owned there own Power Company. I went thru three winters there and as far as I can remember was never out of Power. Now in Western Okla. we are out of power at least 10 times per year at any time the wind blows. The wind was notoriously blowing in Western Ks. lots more than Here in OK. Seems like a lot of Kansas small towns are well prepared and ran very well. A lot of sharp mechanically inclined people live in rural Ks. towns. Great State in my OP. Your comment on water made me think of Old Meade, KS. memories. thanks.
The windy states really need to go underground with their utilities. We lost a wooden barn full of hay bales because the power lines contacted in a high wind creating sparks that set the grass on fire. Nothing left but a foundation now.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife and I went there several years ago. Well worth the trip down in the mine, and the tram ride was informative. If I went back I wouldn't bother with the tram ride, but I would indeed go back down the mine.

Then we went to Dodge City reenactment. That's a 2-hour tourist trap; enter and leave through the gift shop...

However, the Old Cowtown Museum in downtown Wichita is very much worth a visit. Outdoor mostly, houses moved on location, open to walk through. Probably 30 or more buildings.
We really enjoyed that visit.
Interesting aside. I installed the security system in one of the Koch brothers new houses. He had about 10 fireplaces and after every usage of any fireplace he had a strong order of cattle feedlot.

The investigation came down to the fact he insisted upon using the roadway pavers from the old Wichita Cow Town. He had to redo every fireplace with other than authentic brick but he did have a great story to tell.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stand corrected on my comments earlier regarding Compass Minerals owning this mine

Was with my son this past weekend in Dallas and he stated that the mine is privately owned.
His company’s operation is located between Hutchinson and Wichita

Latest posts

Top Bottom