Santorum's Wife Sued Doctor For $500,000, Despite Senator's Calls For Tort Reform

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you think any of the unrealistic expectations the clients have come from the lawyers trying to get their business? I've seen lots of stories on forums where the lawyer told them they'd get big money if they signed with them and once they did the client is pressured to settle out of court for a very small percentage of the promised amount. They seem to feel the lawyer is just looking for the quick, easy buck. Why work for 1/3 of $100k when you can take 1/3 of $30k with almost no effort and run?

Because 1/3 of a $100,000 is better than 1/3 of $30,000 by about $20,000?

I can tell you I had NO realistic expectations of what my claim is worth but if I go see a lawyer in person to discuss it with him, it's worth $10-25k more than the previous lawyer after I tell him that amount. If I keep shopping, it could be worth millions. LOL

I will agree with your last statement though. I am not for caps.

I try to be as realistic as possible even if it pisses clients off. It's really impossible to give accurate values at the beginning of a case. There are a lot of factors that impact value; seriousness of the injury, insurance of the tortfeasor, client's medical bills, lost wages etc. A client could have a subsequent injury and the insurance company could claim it was an intervening injury and the client's damages were really from the 2nd injury.

Some client's have unrealistic expectations based on TV and on what "someone told them they got." Keep in mind, Oklahoma is an extremely conservative venue. A case worth X number of dollars here might be worth X plus 30% some place else.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, in what instances would it be appropriate? You already mentioned your attorney not filing in time, what if he didn't call certain witnesses or present certain evidence which would be beneficial to your case?

I think that would be a tough one on which to prove legal malpractice. Some other examples are screwing up a probate; screwing up a title opinion or a bankruptcy.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i find it more concerning that his wife is the type of person that would even LET a chiropractor touch her. i dont understand how people in this day of modern science can still let themselves go to chiro clinics. its a shame they aren't banned from insurance payouts. i wouldnt want someone who thinks chiropractic "medicine" is a real science to be running my country, if his wife does it does that mean he isnt opposed to it? i wonder if she consults her psychic before making any important decisions as well... big red flag in addition to the hypocrisy of the lawsuit.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i find it more concerning that his wife is the type of person that would even LET a chiropractor touch her. i dont understand how people in this day of modern science can still let themselves go to chiro clinics. its a shame they aren't banned from insurance payouts. i wouldnt want someone who thinks chiropractic "medicine" is a real science to be running my country, if his wife does it does that mean he isnt opposed to it? i wonder if she consults her psychic before making any important decisions as well... big red flag in addition to the hypocrisy of the lawsuit.

I have a feeling that the Santorum family is not real big on modern science. I heard him call it a crock in person last week (re: climate change).

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably because man made climate change is a crock and more evidence comes out weekly to prove it is a crock. Heck more and more climate scientist are changing their tune and even Europe is starting to realize it.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No scientific body denies it and 97-98% of scientists agree with it.

I don't think it matters because we'll overpopulate before global warming makes a tinker's dam of difference, but still, to call it crock science is a stretch.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No scientific body denies it and 97-98% of scientists agree with it.

I don't think it matters because we'll overpopulate before global warming makes a tinker's dam of difference, but still, to call it crock science is a stretch.

Make that about 60% of climate scientist and you will be closer to the mark, and that percentage is dropping all the time. Another one switched sides a week or so ago.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make that about 60% of climate scientist and you will be closer to the mark, and that percentage is dropping all the time. Another one switched sides a week or so ago.

Which survey showed 60%? Which scientific bodies disagree with the consensus?

I didn't mean to derail JB's great thread :eyeroll:, and I'm also against the politicization of climate science in the first place, for the record.

Latest posts

Top Bottom