Scavenging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, the post on Conflicted Card #43 got me thinking about Scavenging after the collapse. That post poses a good question, but I'd like to expand on it. So here's the scenario I'm thinking of: it has hit the fan, society has collapsed, for whatever reason, and we are living without rule of law. When do you scavenge, what do you scavenge, where do you scavenge, and how do you get in? How do you carry your gear to the scavenging point, and once you've got your loot, how do you carry it home?

We probably all have (or intend to find) a flat pry bar, a standard crow bar (not necessarily a green one), a set of bolt cutters, a big hammer, and/or a bigger hammer. All of these would be useful for getting into places to scavenge after SHTF (but not to be used for unlawfully breaking into someone's home or business, because that would be wrong). I'm sure I can't be the only one who also wants these, too, though.

So, thoughts?

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nothing big will be moved very far. I doubt there will be a "permanent" bug in or bug out place. Food, water and safe shelter will take up every bit of your time.

Also there is NO law, so you can break and enter anywhere. Right or wrong won't matter.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every scavenge will be somewhat unique.
When? When it is opportune to do so. 24/7
What? What is most needed and or available at the time.
Tools / equipment? Truck while the gas lasts. I have horses and a wagon. Deer dolly is very handy, easy to move and carries a lot of weight. The barn is well stocked with tools, whatever needed carried by previously listed means. Nomad would mean hand ax.
Regardless of preps and planning. We will not be prepared for serious, long term SHTF. Take each day as it comes and just try to survive.

Sunshine7388

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with turkeyrun. You take each run/trip at a time and evaluate from there.

Of course Lurker has a point with no law in a shtf event as well so any place is fair game. If I see a home that has formula or a set of clothes or hell even some new books I am going in to get them.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Scavenging and looting are very different things on the same path. Loot and get shot. "Scavenge" and hope the OWNER doesn't catch you or you get shot.

Right or wrong won't matter.

Total bull butter, Lurker. Thieves with or without overlords are one and the same.

Edit: in lurkers defense I added the second portion after he replied the following post.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree with turkeyrun. You take each run/trip at a time and evaluate from there.

Of course Lurker has a point with no law in a shtf event as well so any place is fair game. If I see a home that has formula or a set of clothes or hell even some new books I am going in to get them.

Don't look now but you're turning into a raider lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom