School is teaching the kids That Americans dont have right to bear arms!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No it hasn't. I should know because my wife teaches in Moore has been complaining about the transition.

Apologies for my misstatement. Must have been the transition I was thinking of as teachers we know have been griping about Common Core as well. With all the complaining about it, I thought it was already here.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Because of BS like this, I am liking the idea of homeschooling more and more.

My children go to a small rural school, and we have had to fight them to be involved as parents. You would think that teachers and the administration would welcome parent involvement, but we have found that they actually discourage it, even in first and second grades, "to make the children more independent". WTF!

I am about ready to home school mine anyway, and if this Common Core Crap comes around, I certainly will be.

It seems like we used to have to only worry about our children being brainwashed when they went off to college, but nowadays it is happening more and more at the lower grade levels.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good on you for the plan to get your kids out of govt schools. If you don't mind, why after 3rd grade? I'm not trying to be rude or anything. I really would like to know your reasoning. Thanks.

We have 3 kids. Didn't start thinking about home school until the oldest was in 4th grade and was having problems due to teachers and a traumatic injury he had. The teacher's teaching crap was just another reason to pull him out. So originally we were just going to pull him out as the other 2 were really enjoying school and had good teachers.

Once we started him on the K12 program and got used to it we realized that he was getting a much better education than at the govt school, and he was still required to take the same state tests. A quick note about about K12 however, they are an online public school, they provide all the books and the lesson plans and everything he needs...my wife and I are the first line of teacher he has. If he still has questions we can't answer, he has a paid teacher that he can talk to and get an answer. So it's not completely home school, but we wanted a way for him to learn at home, but still have a way to measure his learning to make sure we were keeping him on track and not shorting him on his education. This seemed to be a good fit.

Last year, we went to a parent meeting for our middle child who was in 2nd grade. The school is a Title 1 school which classifies it as a low income school so they get some federal funds to use for teachers to help students with reading and math to help bolster those test scores. The Title 1 teacher told us outright that starting in 4th grade, they start teaching to the state tests so the kids will know how to pass them. Kindergarten the kids are adjusting to being at school, 1st they are away longer and start getting more responsibility. 2nd they start getting more homework to get used to and by 3rd they should be learning more responsibility about getting all their work done and keeping track of their stuff.

We decided that letting the local school teach the basics and the building blocks for us to build on was better than have all 3 kids at home right at the onset trying to get everyone used to the routine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom