Seating primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a Contender sence 1985, I make 7-30 waters from 30-30, 30 herrett from 30-30, 7 TCU from 223 and 256 win mag from 357. If you don't get the head space right it will not lock up tight and therefore will not set off a round, I learned this early on while making
30 H brass.
Even after they had been fire formed I had to set the shoulder back .002-.005 to make sure the action would close properly.

I've always cleaned PP for my contender.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the Federal primers. They are supposed to be softer than others. I have not had that problem with my Contender but I was getting some problems with a Redhawk years ago and the gunsmith suggested Federal primers instead of the CCI that I usually use.

The federal primers didn't help the Redhawk. I was trying to get a lighter spring to work in it. I never had to go back to the factory spring and the gunsmith or I don't know what he did to make it start working.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Good advice here.

After doing some pocket cleaning, I'm going to test priming tools. I picked up a Lee Ram priming tool today. So, I'll make up a batch using the Lee tool (and holder) and a batch with the RCBS tool (and holder). If one or the other produces better results, I'll stick to that method like glue.

Here's my last question. The other day, when I made the bad rounds, I went ahead and loaded up about a dozen extra primed cases. So, I fully expect that those will have the same priming problems as the ones that I charged and fired. I've read on numerous forums that it is safe to deprime a case with a live primer in it. These experts just recommend that you wear glasses and go slowly.

Does anyone have any concerns with me depriming those unfired, primed cases? And, if this kills me, does anyone want a free reloading setup?

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.brownells.com/reloading/...clair-primer-pocket-uniformers-prod34720.aspx

I would suggest a uniformer over one of the cleaners. I chuck one of these up in a drill and clean/cut the pockets to a uniform depth. This will help you with the seating issue as well. Uniform primer pockets are a major key to consistent reloads (reduction in ES/SD).

Did you spray any case lube into the neck of the cartridge when sizing?

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only reason I asked is because when I started reloading I utilized Frankford Arsenal case lube and sprayed the case mouths, a little too liberally when the primers were already seated. They contaminated the primers. Some would fire, and some wouldn't. I learned my lesson there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom