Selling Hog Hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They take them live because they sell them. The people that buy them want them live so they can kill and butcher at the same time and have fresh meat.

I'd rather go find a farmer with a corn-fed hog then ... but then folks will pay good money for just about anything these days ...

A lot are turned loose alive too. Buy a hog for $50-$100 and sell hunts for $200-300.

This makes sense ...

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They take them live because they sell them. The people that buy them want them live so they can kill and butcher at the same time and have fresh meat.

As I understand the law, it's illegal to trap feral hogs and sell to anyone who doesn't have a special license (which aren't issued i suspect) ( slaughter houses are exempt) since the sale of any taken game animal is illegal also it's the states way of stopping people from hunting anything in Oklahoma for profit. The reason for catching and keeping alive, that I've heard from trappers, is for freshness. They can take them to a slaughter house live but not dead.

This is just from reading the regulations and what I've heard different trappers say which is always suspect lol, like a fisherman. I imagine like anything to do with Oklahoma regulations or laws they are vague and confusing. I just assume since it's illegal to sell any fish or game taken in Oklahoma the spirit of the law applies to hogs also.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Feral hogs aren't considered a game animal in most states so they don't fall under that category like deer or elk would. I can't speak for OK, but down in TX I was told that if you want to donate the meat to a good bank or something that the animals may be delivered alive to a certified processing facility... Those same facilities will buy live feral hogs but will not buy dead ones.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Feral hogs aren't considered a game animal in most states so they don't fall under that category like deer or elk would. I can't speak for OK, but down in TX I was told that if you want to donate the meat to a good bank or something that the animals may be delivered alive to a certified processing facility... Those same facilities will buy live feral hogs but will not buy dead ones.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

That's pretty much what I'm saying. You can donate them live and processor's (licensed for feral hogs) will do their thing for the charities but may not take dead hogs. However, trapping and selling (to non-licensed) individuals is illegal just like other game animals. No hogs are not considered a "game animal" but hunting them is regulated by the state, the only difference is the hog regulations are much looser.

Killing a wild hog or trapping a wild hog = no sale, personal use or donation only just like all of Oklahoma's huntable critters. Taking them live maintains freshness so when you're taking them for eating it makes sense to keep them on the hoof until it's time to render them into meal sized portions (that may be a Ted Nugent saying). I'm sure there are plenty of people that skirt the regulations and go by their own interpretation of the law until they are caught though.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I'm saying. You can donate them live and processor's (licensed for feral hogs) will do their thing for the charities but may not take dead hogs. However, trapping and selling (to non-licensed) individuals is illegal just like other game animals. No hogs are not considered a "game animal" but hunting them is regulated by the state, the only difference is the hog regulations are much looser.

Killing a wild hog or trapping a wild hog = no sale, personal use or donation only just like all of Oklahoma's huntable critters. Taking them live maintains freshness so when you're taking them for eating it makes sense to keep them on the hoof until it's time to render them into meal sized portions (that may be a Ted Nugent saying). I'm sure there are plenty of people that skirt the regulations and go by their own interpretation of the law until they are caught though.
At this time in Oklahoma a wild hog can be sold to ANYBODY as long as it isn't transported alive. If the hog is transported alive it MUST be transported by somebody with the proper permit. Processing plants are supposed to only process live animals, thats why most butchers who process deer shut down butchering of beef during deer seasons.

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
THIS is the very reason the hog problem is what it is today.
Hog hunting has to be outlawed to stop the relocation for money hunts. Then an eradication program similar to yotes to control populations.

I think you just answered your own question. Outlawing hog hunting = restricting freedom. I don't try to tell you what you can hunt, why do you think you should dictate to every hunter in the state what to hunt?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At this time in Oklahoma a wild hog can be sold to ANYBODY as long as it isn't transported alive. If the hog is transported alive it MUST be transported by somebody with the proper permit. Processing plants are supposed to only process live animals, that's why most butchers who process deer shut down butchering of beef during deer seasons.

Exactly. The plant that processes mine does about 300 head of cattle a year, and 1800 deer. He can't wait for deer season to come around.
Last two years in a row, he had to stop taking deer about mid rifle season. Ran out of storage area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom