Shooting Steel….

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I get older I keep setting aside things I used to think were either fun or a good idea.
Plate racks have been part of my training regiment for decades but I think I’m done.
Today I ran about 300rds thru a S&W 25 45acp on the plate racks at xxx xxxxxx outdoor range and right down at the end of it ate a lead fragment about 1/2 in across and thin right into the side of my nose..
This ain’t the first time I’ve had to dig bullets or fragments out.
Was shooting from 12-20 yds this occurred at 12 yds.
I never shoot jacketed rounds at steel.
This load was a 185 lswc.
It absolutely blows my mind at the number of utube masters I see on the range shooting and they aren’t even wearing safety glasses!
Good grief, I think I’ll retire to shooting paper and idpa targets.
Steel is going to need to be a long way off.
IMG_2207.png

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like steel, can't say I've ever been hit with shrapnel? What's their setup like? Well angled, etc?
They are just a standard a frame 6 plate rack and the plates are standing pretty much vertical..
I’ve not had too many problems over the years with injuries from ricochets while shooting steel with cast bullets but today was different and that piece was cooking, I didn’t even see it coming.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not much of a paper punching guy but prefer to shoot steel....luckily our 25 yd pistol range have several steel plates, of various sizes, to shoot at 25 yds.

I always load and shoot 230gr 45ACP FMJs (no plated) at them and so far (knock on wood ) I've never had any shrapnel come back and get me.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have also seen the problem with straight up and down steel about the 2nd time I ever shot steel.
I did not get hit by anything but seen where the lead round impacted ground.

Hanging at an angle after that and never an issue.
Be aware that if your plate has holes/craters in it those can send fragments back at you even if you have a good angle on it.

Replace the plate if it is cratered or pay the price eventually.
How about your childs eye because you thought cratered plate shooting was safe.

Just an example. I do not know of a child that lost an eye like that .

SKTK135

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's always a risk of something happening when your sending a bullet down range at 800 plus fps not to mention velocities much higher. Keep your steel in good shape, hang them at an angle if possible, WEAR GLASSES and watch your minimum distances according to what you're shooting. Be safe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom