Nobody is buying s**t these days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m with you, sounds like nothing but horse pucky. Often times people don’t really know what they’re doing, and that’s at gun shops as well as private parties. They look at asking prices on online auction websites and think that’s their guns actual value. They also are unfamiliar with actual grading and think “so my Winchester Model 1886 was tapped for a scope and reblued 60 years ago that can’t hurt the value”. “It’s still gotta be worth $4000-$5000.” Aaaaaaaaaa….nope!
True story, I was working with a guy at the counter of Murf’s in Duncan on a Winchester 1890 that had been fiddled with, amongst other things someone took some sandpaper to the barrel to I’m guessing remove some surface rust. He goes and asks a guy (maybe the owner’s son??) about a price and he comes back with $900. I told him that wouldn’t do and that even after I had the gun reblued it wouldn’t be worth near that. He snaps back “if you reblue it you’ll ruin the collector value”. I think to myself “I hate to tell you this buddy but that ship sailed a long time ago”. No collector is going to want a gun that’s had a piece of sandpaper taken to it and I thought I could at least turn it into a nice shooter for $500 plus the cost if bluing. I just shook my head and walked away. A year later I grabbed this unmolested one for $800 from Merz Antiques. View attachment 490725View attachment 490726
I have one of those. Love shooting it.

SBSATS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But guys, didn't you watch the debate? Bidumb says we're in great shape.
As a old man who doesn't hunt, shoot or reload much anymore. I've been considering selling off the vast majority of 55 years worth of collections of guns, loading equipment and such. But knowing how much work it is to organize, take pictures and advertise. .after reading your comments, makes me wonder if it's worth the effort.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a old man who doesn't hunt, shoot or reload much anymore. I've been considering selling off the vast majority of 55 years worth of collections of guns, loading equipment and such. But knowing how much work it is to organize, take pictures and advertise. .after reading your comments, makes me wonder if it's worth the effort.
Ive considered the same but just not really ready to let things go at the moment or thats what my brain tells me anyway.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why there's auction houses. When I die, I really hope wifey either finds the notes about how to price/package stuff that I've made, or goes through Rock Island Auctions, or finds an outfit like Lippard auctioneers to work with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom