Shooting Steel….

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah steel can be absolutely dangerous. I have shot steel targets at my place for 5-6 years now with no incidents. But they’re angled down pretty good. I try to stay minimum of 50yds back for rifle and minimum 15yds for handgun. Safety glasses are a must every time no questions asked.

Slow moving pistol rounds like 45acp are more prone to throwing fragments back.

About 15yesrs ago when I was first getting into shooting steel I witnessed a buddy dang near blow his top lip off and and cut his gums after shooting .556 way to close on a dualing tree (another situation like plate racks, vertical targets with no down downward angle). A piece of copper jacket flew back and got him.

You want to sell your plate rack cheap? lol

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really do like shooting steel with handguns at distance, rifles too.
I was watching one of the 9 hole reviews videos featuring the SRS M2 out to 1000 yards.
That 338 is just slapping the shxxt out of the steel and hitting out at that distance was a walk in the park for ol Henry.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s inevitable as the steel surface becomes irregular from countless impacts. I get fragged all the time. Eye protection is the most important thing to have anytime when shooting or around shooting, by a very wide margin.

Use the correct hardness steel plates you will not see any irregularities from countless impacts. I have AR550 targets that are over 30 years old, nary an imperfection. This is of course if they are used in the correct manner!

The photos show a few of my plates. You could strip the layers of paint off them and they would be as smooth as new ones. Over 30 years and no guess on the thousands of rounds shot at them. The last photo shows how they hang at an angle that drives everything to the ground in front of them.

“”Corrected in edit AR550 Steel Plates””

BC2E54C8-4D76-43BD-9D64-0E057721F892.jpeg24A05A41-427A-4767-8E5B-9CA5F3CBDAF2.jpeg29DB7E30-8FAA-4693-ADFE-4A504162E718.jpeg8F38EA6B-32F6-4998-B9C1-7687AB0FDF72.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use the correct hardness steel plates you will not see any irregularities from countless impacts. I have AR500 targets that are over 30 years old, nary an imperfection. This is of course if they are used in the correct manner!

The photos show a few of my plates. You could strip the layers of paint off them and they would be as smooth as new ones. Over 30 years and no guess on the thousands of rounds shot at them. The last photo shows how they hang at an angle that drives everything to the ground in front of them.

View attachment 490734View attachment 490735View attachment 490736View attachment 490737
This is fake news. When used in action shooting sports a steel target made of AR500 will get impacted 400-1000+ times per month, and in steel challenge it is 1500-2000+ times per month per target. After a few years, frags become common but not routine. After several years, frags become common and routine. Targets remain in good shape, but the flat surface changes increasingly to a slight waviness per time, and bullet splash becomes more erratic and fragments begin impacting shooters. People who do not shoot high volume don’t experience these things. Steel targets are placed 7-8 yards from the shooter at the closest position, which is plenty far away for safety, since eye protection is mandatory. Frag impacts are rarely painful or dangerous.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is fake news. When used in action shooting sports a steel target made of AR500 will get impacted 400-1000+ times per month, and in steel challenge it is 1500-2000+ times per month per target. After a few years, frags become common but not routine. After several years, frags become common and routine. Targets remain in good shape, but the flat surface changes increasingly to a slight waviness per time, and bullet splash becomes more erratic and fragments begin impacting shooters. People who do not shoot high volume don’t experience these things. Steel targets are placed 7-8 yards from the shooter at the closest position, which is plenty far away for safety, since eye protection is mandatory. Frag impacts are rarely painful or dangerous.

30 years of proof of no fake is in the photos!

Latest posts

Top Bottom