"Should You Modify Your Carry Gun"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ayoob is a knowledgable individual but he's also a professional witness and writer. Sometimes the stuff he posits reaches into the realm of "really dude?".

Has anyone, lawfully carrying, involved in a justifiable self defense shooting ever been convicted because of legal firearms modifications? Ever? Court case citations please.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many of you carry meteor insurance? Alien abduction insurance? How about insurance to cover getting hit by a block of ice from the lavatory of an aircraft?

Life's too short to worry about silly stuff like this. Make sure your gun is safe to carry without fear of an unintentional discharge and don't shoot people who don't need shot. Done.

Owasso

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't really care if someone modifies their weapon or not. As they say to each his own... I simply thought both articles were informative and possibly helpful, if a guy needs to justify his actions some day. With respect to actual cases Ayoob discuss a lot of cases in the totality of his writings, but I can not think any specific cases where trigger modification was the deciding factor. Someone else may know of specific cases. If so please share them. I personally want to get as much factual information as possible so that I am better informed.

It most cases it is simply one of many factors the DA uses to allege that the shooter wanted to kill someone, they were untrained, walking around with chip on their shoulder, looking to prove what a great weekend warrior they are... etc.. Even in the cases where it was ultimately decided the police officer or individual was justified, the family ended up in financial ruin by the time the case was over.

Now, I do remember a case involving police officer on trial for shooting a punk in a Miami Arcade. Ayoob was the expert witness. I think the officer got off, but by the time the trial was over he was in financial ruin. According to Ayoob in that case the modifications the officer made to his weapon were used against him by the DA. I think it is referred to in Ayoob's writings as the "Miami Arcade Shooting." I gave my copy of the Ayoob files to a family member, but I am fairly certain that is were where I read the case.

Again there is no reason for anyone to get offended. I appreciate reading all the responses. Many good points have been made. I would love hear the opinions of law enforcement professionals retired or active that are forum members.

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I read statements from people saying not to modify your carry gun for fear of prosecution my repsonse is the following:

doublefacepalm.jpg

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I always got from Ayoob:
Know What to say.
Know How to say it.
Know why its that way.
Be confident in your Knowledge.

Now most people are Never going to have the experiences he did, and only a few of those are going to know how to express it ,knowledgeably

Latest posts

Top Bottom