*sigh* Another caliber and another mouth to feed...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy partner. I have one of those beauties made in 1951. They are dear on accurate. I use 150s also. due to my skils I wouldnt go much over a hundred with open sight but can nail a soada can all day at 50 yards. The kick is a BIT more noticeable than 762x39 though. You will know it is there. Im not crying though. Unless my model 70 in 300wnm is kickin me. Just kidding. You will love it. They make great dear guns. You will have a blast with it!

Hear is a tid bit that might interest you. 30 30 is a frase that marlin came out with and coined to differentiate thier rifle from winchesters. In the old days the winchester rifle was refered to as the winchester 30. Marlin had to come up with a name so they decided to call thier rifle the 30 30 because it was a 30 cal bullet with 30 grains of black powder. And now the rest is history

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can almost tell your a pistol owner and this jewel (I'm Impressed with your find) is maybe your first center fire rifle? There is a lot of misconception about heavier and slower.
But, first, since its a 30-30 I'd seriously look into the Hornady Lever revolution ammo. ( I hope I'm not telling you something you already know, and if I am, I apologize in advance)
It has a plastic tip to prevent recoil detonation in the sleeve magazine. They say it approaches .308 ballistics.
The 30-30 has the reputation of being a "brush buster" because it is slower, with a rounded tip that will "slip" thru the brush. This is an old husbands tale.

Several studies have been done about the brush busting abilities of the 30-30

Well...yes and no.

I did own an AR-15 briefly, but tossed it in a hurry.

To me, they are what they are, but I considered them equivalent to a trophy wife. They look good, all your friends are jealous and they even feel real nice. But...everytime you turn around they need some kinda new something or other. They require a ton of maintenance and in the long run, you just lose interest.

Well...I did anyway. :rolleyes2

Besides that, they **** where they eat. :disappoin

I can't afford an expensive toy like the AR-15. Besides...as I mature and get older, I appreciate the things of days gone by. Like this Winchester. Everytime I watch one of the Duke's films, I always say to myself, "Damn! That's an awesome carbine he's got there."

Now, I finally own one! :woohoo1:

So yeah, in a sense...this IS my first centerfire rifle.

Therefore...Teach me, TEACH ME, TEACH ME!!! :w000t:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It actually reminded me of the "rifleman" series, but I'm thinking his was even shorter in the barrel?
One of the most interesting shows was when Sammy Davis Junior was on as a guest. I don't remember the whole theme of that days show, but what I did remember was that Sammy Davis Junior was an expert in fast draw and knife throwing. He put a 3" circle on a piece of the Riflemans barn, and threw his k nife at it. As soon as he threw the knife he drew his gun, and put a bullet into the barn before the knife hit the same hole. That one even may have shaped my whole life??:D

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It actually reminded me of the "rifleman" series, but I'm thinking his was even shorter in the barrel?
One of the most interesting shows was when Sammy Davis Junior was on as a guest. I don't remember the whole theme of that days show, but what I did remember was that Sammy Davis Junior was an expert in fast draw and knife throwing. He put a 3" circle on a piece of the Riflemans barn, and threw his k nife at it. As soon as he threw the knife he drew his gun, and put a bullet into the barn before the knife hit the same hole. That one even may have shaped my whole life??:D

Ahhh...memories! :D

I gotta admit...I tried to swing this Winchester around like the Duke did in True Grit. It's a little tougher than it looks. :scratch:

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to use a lever action 30-30 Winchester 94 this year for deer. I looked up some ballistics and I seem to remember that at 500 yards you have to hold something like 96" high.

The tree cover in the area I hunt will limit shots to 60-100 yards so the 30-30 should be a good choice. I am probably going to use 150 grain factory loads but looked seriously at the fancy plastic tipped rounds.

Good luck with your purchase and don't let it set in the gun safe. It needs to be walked around in the great outdoors regularly.

orangpowr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like them too, got a few myself. My favorite is a Marlin brush gun in .41 magnum stainless with the laminated stock. Got a Ruger Bisley in .41 Mag to match.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to use a lever action 30-30 Winchester 94 this year for deer. I looked up some ballistics and I seem to remember that at 500 yards you have to hold something like 96" high.

The tree cover in the area I hunt will limit shots to 60-100 yards so the 30-30 should be a good choice. I am probably going to use 150 grain factory loads but looked seriously at the fancy plastic tipped rounds.

Good luck with your purchase and don't let it set in the gun safe. It needs to be walked around in the great outdoors regularly.

Oh, it will. I don't have a "safe" per se.

All of my guns get some carry time. Some not all the time, like My Colt Cobra. But, since I missed out on my S&W model 36 and bought this rifle, the little pony will probably get carried more than it's used to. He's gonna be my new off duty/concealed carry piece. I need to pick up some leather for it. I'm thinking a Galco "Concealable" OWB holster. :naughty:

Most of the members in my arsenal - my 2nd gen Glock 22, Smith & Wesson J frame model 38 Airweight Bodyguard and Mossberg 590 - get toted...

Every. Single. Day.

This Winchester just might hafta come along for a ride or two as well. :)

Slack One

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your gun likes the Hornady LeverEvolutions, they're great. My Marlin does not care for them, and tends to shoot patterns with them. Also, they're rather expensive. But they do boost the usable range on a .30-30 quite a bit, thanks to being a standard "pointy bullet" vs. the usual .30-30 softball.

My particular lever gun likes 150 grain Federals, which shoot flat enough for most hunting I do around here. Sort of a moot point as I've been shooting a .308 lately, but the Marlin is so much handier than the Mauser...

I hate to say it, but I hope you still like the rifle after you shoot it a while. The big loop levers are an acquired taste. Frankly I dislike them, as I end up beating the crap out of my hand having to "dive" for the loop in order to cycle the gun. Slightly oversized is nice to have so you can wear good warm gloves, but big oversized just seems to be one more thing to hang on brush. A good leather wrap around the belly of the loop might make it more comfortable, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom