Simple question - What is the reason for the restriction roll mark to LE and Military only on some Colt's AR15'?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why wouldn't non-leo want either one? I've read many reports of people having to fire through their windshields or barriers in the home. I certainly would want the critical duty ammo to penetrate a sheet rock wall in the home against an intruder that thought that gave them cover.

Well, if you read the information in the link it would explain why. I didn't say they wouldn't want either one. I said it might not be the best choice for the average person for self-defense.

The Critical Duty is made for full-size guns with longer barrels. It'll work in smaller guns...but it isn't optimized for them. The Critical Defense ammo is optimized specifically for shorter-barreled guns the average armed citizen probably carries. The link explains all that.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another member and I were conversing about the restricted roll marks on the LE 69XX series yet anyone can own one.

They are on regular Colt AR semiautomatic rifles and carbines. None have the capability of full automatic fire.

I do understand the restriction of the rifle itself in several commie states because it is black and shoots bullets in Commiefornia.

There has to be a simple answer.
I actually called colt about this question, it was to put as many semi auto rifles in the hand of LEOs, at a greatly reduced rate. And the stamp was basically an attempt to keep LEOs from flipping them for a considerable profit, their was no law( at least okie law), the LEO came with (3)- hi cap mags.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, if you read the information in the link it would explain why. I didn't say they wouldn't want either one. I said it might not be the best choice for the average person for self-defense.

The Critical Duty is made for full-size guns with longer barrels. It'll work in smaller guns...but it isn't optimized for them. The Critical Defense ammo is optimized specifically for shorter-barreled guns the average armed citizen probably carries. The link explains all that.
Well, I actually watched the full link for the record. I don't keep mouse guns in the home full size only which is why my response was tailored the way it was.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Basically, the 1994 assault weapons ban killed colt profits, the LEO market gave it a kick start.

Colt killed Colt profits by basically ignoring the civilian AR market for years and counting on military contracts. And the company was assisted by a union that got worker wages to the point it caused their guns to be some of the most expensive to produce. With very few exceptions Colt has been producing the same guns for the past 150 years and hasn't really done anything innovative. Hell...even the AR was someone else's design. They had a brief flash-in-the-pan with the LE901 .308 rifle that could quickly convert to 5.56 but that didn't last long (though they've reintroduced a similar rifle many years later). They tried to live on their name and small stable of guns and it wasn't enough in today's market. They wouldn't have lasted nearly as long as they did without military contracts for M4/M16 rifles. When those mostly went away they were pretty much sunk.

But, I still love their rifles...especially those in the 2009 - 2012 time frame. Best guns Colt ever built.

Latest posts

Top Bottom