Single Action Revolver for Self Defense?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What about a Single Action Revolver for Self Defense use?

• Total voters

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
in my regular day to day life (work/home) no I wouldn't feel undergunned. That being said anytime I know I'm gonna deviate from that routine I'll grab my compact 9mm

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recently bought a Ruger Vaquero in 45 ACP. While doing some online research about the gun I was surprised to learn how many people do carry a SA. Wouldn't be my first choice but I suppose people will carry what they're most comfortable with.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread reminded me of an article I read several years ago Frontier style handguns for the modern backwoods home
By Massad Ayoob

Good article covering some history, the advantages and disadvantages of carrying a single action, how to carry and how to shoot the single action.

He concludes with
I do not recommend single-action revolvers for everyday carry, except for the rural person who is constantly on horseback and may have to fire from the saddle. In that situation, and only there, I think the single action may have a place as a constant-carry sidearm. If the "mission profile" of your handgun is geared more toward self-protection, you are better off with something more modern. Slow loading/unloading/reloading time, slow pace of sustained fire if shooting one hand only, and difficulty of quickly and safely checking loaded versus unloaded status all militate against the old cowboy-style gun, and show you why it has so long been considered obsolete by those who go in harm's way.

What I am saying is, if you're more concerned about a mountain lion or a rattlesnake when you're on horseback than a carjacker when you're on the road, the single action may have an advantage for you if you carry it carefully and safely, the traditional way.

And if you are careful and responsible, and the old ways just feel better for you, and you just feel more comfortable when armed with a single action revolver, you know what?

You'll get no argument from me.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I was going to OC it would be a single action 45LC for sure just for kicks :)

I don't so I carry a P229

Whatever floats your boat. Go for it.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope that if I'm ever help up at gunpoint, the other guy has a single action.

I've been shooting single actions for about 30 years now, and semi-auto for about the same amount of time.

My carry gun is a semi-auto...with 18 rounds.

I don't need that many to hit a person...but there may be more than one person.

I shoot my single action out to 200 yards.

I don't do that with my semi-auto.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most SA's have very light triggers. All of mine do anyway. In the adrenalin rush of a self defense situation it would be very easy to send a round somewhere you don't want it to go.

If time on target was the sole factor in choosing a carry gun I'd carry my '51 Navy. I'm at least 1.5 seconds faster from leather to target with it than my 1911. And it's prettier too.

That said, carry what you are most comfortable and proficient with and don't worry about what I say. Or anyone else for that matter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom