Single Action Revolver for Self Defense?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What about a Single Action Revolver for Self Defense use?

• Total voters

rsc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whats that saying about a handgun should be there to allow you to fight your way back to your long gun? As a civilian I use my pistol to get to cover or bug out. I don't have to stand around exchanging shots until backup arrives or the other guys are out of the fight.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whats that saying about a handgun should be there to allow you to fight your way back to your long gun? As a civilian I use my pistol to get to cover or bug out. I don't have to stand around exchanging shots until backup arrives or the other guys are out of the fight.

I'm not going to exchange shots, I'm going to shoot quickly and accurately.

I hope your kids and wife can run as fast as you can while you seek cover or bug out.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Taco's please. In all honesty, I wouldn't carry a single action revolver for self defense. You can be comfortable with it all you want, but I would venture to say that there are more skilled semi-auto operators then there are single action revolver operators. Why take the chance?

okiebindernut

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the shooter is undeniably more comfortable with a SA than anything else, go for it. Any gun is better than no gun. I wouldn't do myself but thats me, and I do love single action revolvers. In the end, I voted tacos 'cause I'm hungry.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about if carry is removed from the equation? SD at home, under the dash, beside the seat, etc.?

The one place SA Revolvers shine is in reliability even when not maintained particularly well and there are many guns that get put in the box in the closet or the top of the night table and only taken out once a year (or less) to be shot or cleaned. Would there be an advantage in that sort of situation?

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno'.

I've gone through stages where I've gone for years without shooting a particular semi-auto rifle or pistol, and when I take them to the range they don't have any issues.

Ironically, the only pistol I've owned that was having reliability issues was my SA Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Mag.

Turns out that when the Grip Frame Screws in the back loosen up, then the cyliner will seize up when you try and cock it.

Putting Lock Tite on the threads will correct it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom