Single Action Revolver for Self Defense?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What about a Single Action Revolver for Self Defense use?

• Total voters

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A carry gun is going to be used in a combat type situation should you ever use it.
Last time i checked, no military or law enforcement agency is wanting to go back to a SA revolver, nor does anyone shoot one in IPSC, IDPA, etc.
If people are wanting to carry one for the "coolness" factor, they don't need to be carrying.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A carry gun is going to be used in a combat type situation should you ever use it.
Last time i checked, no military or law enforcement agency is wanting to go back to a SA revolver, nor does anyone shoot one in IPSC, IDPA, etc.
If people are wanting to carry one for the "coolness" factor, they don't need to be carrying.

Well, the thread is about using one in a Self Defense (not combat type) situation so military and most competition shooting is really not very relevant - if for no reason other than the overwhelming majority of people who have a firearm for SD, whether they carry or not, will never be involved in any of them.
One could argue that anyone who doesn't understand that difference doesn't need to be carrying. But I won't. ;)

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's all you have, then fine. Otherwise you're just a cowboy wannabe.

What's wrong with being a cowboy wannabe? It's as good as a cop wannabe, or a commando wannabe, or a James Bond wannabe, or any of the other terms of endearment the anti-gun crowd likes to use.

[video=youtube_share;Vbg9tACIrdY]http://youtu.be/Vbg9tACIrdY[/video]

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the thread is about using one in a Self Defense (not combat type) situation so military and most competition shooting is really not very relevant - if for no reason other than the overwhelming majority of people who have a firearm for SD, whether they carry or not, will never be involved in any of them.
One could argue that anyone who doesn't understand that difference doesn't need to be carrying. But I won't. ;)

Sorry, when saying "combat" I didn't mean to imply that this was combat as in "war."
"Combat" also applies to having to use a weapon to defend oneself on the street.
A quick Google search of "combat shooting" will bring up countless results that refer to personal self defense pistol training for personal carry as "combat training."

A personal carry gun needs to have the ability to be drawn and fired quickly and easily, and a SA requires a hammer to be cocked first.

Oner could argue that if a person thinks that the word "combat" applies only to using a weapon in a declared war may not be familiar with personal defense shooting and schools, but I won't. :)

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A personal carry gun needs to have the ability to be drawn and fired quickly and easily, and a SA requires a hammer to be cocked first.

Well, a person could carry an SA revolver cocked. I certainly wouldn't recommend or do it under any normal circumstances, but it's at least possible.

Cocking an SA is certainly easier and faster than having to rack the slide on an auto, and at least as fast as cocking a 1911 for those who don't like to carry condition one. When you really look at it from the standpoint of motion required, cocking an SA is pretty much equivalent in effort and approximately as fast as clicking off a safety.

For a shooter that's familiar and experienced with his gun I believe the first round time to target is going to be so close that it's a draw. And (here it comes) I suspect that the average SA shooter is more familiar and experienced with his gun than the average semiauto shooter. I say that not meaning anything negative against semiauto shooters as many are extremely good, but for several practical reasons. To begin with an SA revolver is simpler than a semiautomatic pistol on a purely mechanical basis, and fewer parts translates to fewer motions needed to learn. Next is just the matter of numbers as regards the "average" shooter; I think there are probably just a lot more semiautos than SA revolvers that have been bought, loaded, and stuck in the nightstand drawer by people who haven't a clue how to use them. Last is that I suspect that any knowledgeable, experienced shooter of almost any type who actually chooses to use an SA revolver for self defense would be the type of person who knows and considers all of the things we've been talking about and makes a conscious and informed choice; this sort of person would likely to be the sort of person to take the time and make the effort to become proficient with their instrument.

The real disadvantage I see to an SA is reloading - both the number of rounds available without reloading, and reloading speed. Most semiautos will have the advantage over most SA's on the first and virtually all will on the second, and that's a real consideration that for some situations certainly should be a determining factor. On the other hand some of that advantage goes away for compact semiautos, even more so if the shooter's not proficient at mag changes (or not even carrying a spare).

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carrying a SA cocked is just not an option..unless it's a 1911.

Carrying a semi-auto without a round in the chamber is not an option.

Hammer spur on a SA stands a good chance of snagging..and a hammerless SA isn't produced, for obvious reasons.

Re-cocking a SA will usually cause the shooter to take his eyes of the sights and targets, and if nothing else, cause the barrel to move up and down.

If a shooter is good enough on a SA to overcome that, then he/she is going to be good enough to proficient on a semi.

If someone is a cowboy wannabe, then they need to get into Cowboy Action shooting. :)

rsc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carrying a SA cocked is just not an option..unless it's a 1911.

Carrying a semi-auto without a round in the chamber is not an option.
--But some people will do it just because they feel "safer".

Hammer spur on a SA stands a good chance of snagging..and a hammerless SA isn't produced, for obvious reasons.
--But there are other options like the Bisley hammer thats already lower and more compact.

Re-cocking a SA will usually cause the shooter to take his eyes of the sights and targets, and if nothing else, cause the barrel to move up and down.
--You should never have to take your sights off the target to re-cock the hammer. As the pistol comes back down from recoil you are already using your off hand thumb to cock it. Can also be done single-handed as well, but slower as you change up you shooting grip.

If a shooter is good enough on a SA to overcome that, then he/she is going to be good enough to proficient on a semi.
--Maybe. Those are two different weapons platforms. Like saying someone who has mastered a single shot rifle should be able to shoot a M1 Garand effortlessly. Be proficient on what you have and play up its strengths not the weaknesses.

If someone is a cowboy wannabe, then they need to get into Cowboy Action shooting. :)

If carrying a SA, I feel a transfer bar safety is the best choice. It lets you carry a full cylinder safely. Another point is that Blackhawk cylinders do not align with the loading gate for fastest reloads but they do on a Vaquero. Aside from a slower reload (but the ability to easily do a partial reload without taking the gun out of the fight), I find the longer overall size a challenge to conceal, something like a birds head grip and the 3.5"-4.xx" barrel would be a better size along with a Bisley hammer. I would guess that something like 90% of the people carrying a pistol do not carry a spare magazine. If I were going somewhere I anticipated needing more rounds then I wouldnt take a SA or a J-frame or a 7-shot .380, it would be something with a higher capacity. But truthfully, when I carried a Baretta 92 at work I still felt like I needed more ammo but with a 1911 and a spare magazine I dont anymore. I think when you have less ammo available you become more judicious using it.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's quite possible that I could be in a situation where there are more than one attacker.

I really don't want to take the time to be "judicious" in how I apportion out my shots when defending myself.

Rest assured, I will want to shoot as accurately with my 18 round S&W as I do my 7 round Kahr if I feel my life is in danger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom