Single Action Revolver for Self Defense?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What about a Single Action Revolver for Self Defense use?

• Total voters

Jesse Pinkman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may not make a lot of sense, but here goes. I love several of my Single-Action revolvers, and have at times carried one in the car or set it on the night-stand. I'm confident it could be relied on if needed. And most home-invasion scenarios are over quickly. Regardless of how many perps, in most accounts I've read about or seen on the news, after one gets shot, the others tend to flee.

However, if the family is in the house with me, I would never put the Single-Action on guard duty. With a 17-round 9mm and 870 readily available, it would simply be irresponsible. If ANYTHING went wrong, someone that relies on me could get hurt, and then how could I live with myself knowing I ran out of shots, or didn't make a fast enough follow up shot, when I had a semi-auto handgun in the safe?

So for me, solo-Single Action okay. When protecting others-not okay. Kind of like how we enjoying riding motorcycles, but always transport the family in an SUV with the seat belts fastened.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of putting two or three rounds on target as quickly as possible, should the first round strike a non-letal area, be deflected, etc.

An SA revolver is probably going to be a .357 or larger, and recovering from the recoil, cocking the hammer, and getting it back on target is problematic.

While that's a lot fo fun to do at the range, and I've done a lot of it with .357 and .44 mag, I really don't need problematic when I'm defending my life.

I'm like you, an 18 round pistol and 870 are my two "go to " guns.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No way no how would I do it. I want something I can draw and fire with no additional motions. I also prefer as high a capacity as possible, sights that are as quick to align as possible, and a gun at reloads as quickly as possible.
The only pistols I carry are those with a trigger safety/striker fire, or those with a DA trigger pull.

I will carry just about anything if it is all I have available, but that isn't what the OP asked.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I love my SA's, and even got a concealment holster for one, but never gets used, except for out at the range, or maybe an "open carry" BBQ. I do not see them as being a good choice for a carry gun. Some folks even think the DA revolver is to old for a CCW gun, actually they may be better for CCW than our modern semi-autos.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my SA's, and even got a concealment holster for one, but never gets used, except for out at the range, or maybe an "open carry" BBQ. I do not see them as being a good choice for a carry gun. Some folks even think the DA revolver is to old for a CCW gun, actually they may be better for CCW than our modern semi-autos.

I definitely think there is still a place for DA's, especially among shooters with poor hand strength.

I've spent hours with women shooters who fired semi and DA revolvers we furnished them, and a significant number have problems cycling the semi action.

A number of women shooters tend to go with a smaller semi, which holds a comparable number of rounds that a DA does.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say it depends on the person, if they are good enough why not? I'd never say a SA isn't capable because that's just obviously not the case. I was watching one of the various TV gun shows last week and they were focusing on single action revolvers. The big cheese at Ruger was being interviewed by the late J. Guthrie when it came up that the big cheese ( I cant remember his name) carries SA's for his self defense gun and J made the comment that he would normally disparage someone for doing so but he couldn't do that with him. The big cheese said that yeah, he did carry single actions for his "carry" guns because he was most comfortable and a better shooter with due to how long he's been shooting SA's.

The best gun to carry is the one you shoot the best is what I always hear being preached but once you mention single actions they start crawfishing on the rule. I think single actions are good choice for self defense if that's the gun you are best with. With everything else being equal, it's hard to argue the semi-auto excels simply because it has more capacity and reloads faster but it all comes down to putting the bullet in the bad guy. I remember some of the stories from old west history where famous "shootists" talk about it's not the guy with the fastest draw or the most shots fired that comes out alive, it's the guy that can keep his calm and put the first shot where it needs to go.

I'll stick with a semi-auto for now but my Blackhawk does have a .45acp cylinder so if I ever get to that level I can tote that baby. I'll bet the late, great Bob Munden could have gotten himself out of pretty much any scrape with a single action.

Ever since getting my first single action a few years ago, a Ruger New Vaquero Bisley .45 Colt, I was hooked. I can't say why for sure but I love shooting them!

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Single Action Revolver for Self Defense? Yes

Would it be my first choice? Probably not.
But I don't shoot one enough to feel comfortable with it.
To each his own.

Just remember the first rule of gun fights. Bring a gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom