Snub-nosed Accuracy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbok1947

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both a Ruger LCR and a S&W Model 60 J frame, both snubbies, and they are strictly self defense weapons. I don't consider them range guns. In a situation requiring self defense I am very unlikely to even use the sights and will be reacting almost certainly within a 6-10 foot distance. If I want to shoot targets I'm going to take along something with at least a 4 inch barrel. I certainly admire anyone who can shoot accurately at distance with a snubbie but it seems to me to be a fairly useless skill, given the primary intent of those weapons.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both a Ruger LCR and a S&W Model 60 J frame, both snubbies, and they are strictly self defense weapons. I don't consider them range guns. In a situation requiring self defense I am very unlikely to even use the sights and will be reacting almost certainly within a 6-10 foot distance. If I want to shoot targets I'm going to take along something with at least a 4 inch barrel. I certainly admire anyone who can shoot accurately at distance with a snubbie but it seems to me to be a fairly useless skill, given the primary intent of those weapons.
Nah. It's probably more useful to get good with a snubby than a longer sighted gun simply because odds are it's what you're carrying. Maybe not specifically you but aren't these the fastest selling guns since they're generally affordable and handy? More people probably should practice using them effectively more often than their other guns if they even have others. My PX4 is easier so I spend less focus on it, though I shoot more rounds through it.

Also, you only get Five shots man and you're gonna spray and pray?

Last edited:

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the summer the little S&Ws are my "go-to", either a S&W 36 or a S&W 60 (Barami hip grip).

My paws are kinda big, so I have to be focused/deliberate for best accuracy as compared with a larger (and heavier) revolver or pistol.

These small revolvers are simple to use, dependable, plus the older S&W revolver factory triggers can easily be "smoothed" by your armorer (or gunsmith).

The smooth trigger should also help you on the range.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Goes to what everyone has said. IF you practice and do your part you will hit the target with a snub-nosed wheel gun. My late brother use to shoot at an outdoor range that only had a 25 and 50 yard pistol range. Subsequently he did very well with his S&W snubbies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot metal plates at 25 yards at my club's plinking range. I miss more than I hit with my little 442, but it is very good training anyway. Drawing from my pocket safely and getting off a couple of rounds at a plate is a good thing to practice. I should do it more often.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put 3 out of 5 from a 2.25" Ruger SP101 on a chest size target at 100yds. Off a bench, but the capacity is there.
Watched a lady shoot a 12" steel plate from a bench with a .380. She rang the steel 5 out of 5 on the 100 yd bay. A couple of us just looked at each other, and hung our heads in personal shame. LOL.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watched a lady shoot a 12" steel plate from a bench with a .380. She rang the steel 5 out of 5 on the 100 yd bay. A couple of us just looked at each other, and hung our heads in personal shame. LOL.
You're both been drinking
I put 3 out of 5 from a 2.25" Ruger SP101 on a chest size target at 100yds. Off a bench, but the capacity is there.

posted via Tapatalk