Some Fun Oklahoma History

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI guys.

This is fun to look up Oklahoma Histerical Markers.

You can do a search per county of all the county markers or individual markers.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a story about a painting dedicated and planned to be in the Oklahoma Capitol that represents the government's attack on Robber's Roost in Cimarron County and somewhere in the vicinity of Kenton, OK

Dedication of Robber's Roost Painting

"Robber's Roost was a rock fortress with stone walls 30 inches thick that was built by a band of outlaws led by Captain William Coe in No Man's Land in the late 1860's. It had one door and instead of windows had 27 tall, narrow portholes. This region near the Black Mesa was left unclaimed in 1850 when Congress established the boundaries for Texas, Kansas and New Mexico. Therefore, Congress declared it "neutral" or "No Man's Land" and soon forgot about it. The result was a region without any kind of government or law where outlaws and thieves began congregating because of the security the area offered them."

Painting of Robbers Roost Attack.jpg

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a story about a painting dedicated and planned to be in the Oklahoma Capitol that represents the government's attack on Robber's Roost in Cimarron County and somewhere in the vicinity of Kenton, OK

Dedication of Robber's Roost Painting

"Robber's Roost was a rock fortress with stone walls 30 inches thick that was built by a band of outlaws led by Captain William Coe in No Man's Land in the late 1860's. It had one door and instead of windows had 27 tall, narrow portholes. This region near the Black Mesa was left unclaimed in 1850 when Congress established the boundaries for Texas, Kansas and New Mexico. Therefore, Congress declared it "neutral" or "No Man's Land" and soon forgot about it. The result was a region without any kind of government or law where outlaws and thieves began congregating because of the security the area offered them."

View attachment 521726
I saw a copy of that at the telephone office in Boise City.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a copy of that at the telephone office in Boise City.

Having grown up in Cimarron County, I've wanted to actually get to go see that site, but much of the historical things up there (Robber's Roost, dinosaur tracks, and Santa Fe Trail tracks) are on private lands. Each year during one local celebration, the land owners have allowed folks in tours to get to go see the tracks. I don't know if anyone has actually been able to go to the Robber's Roost site.

Latest posts

Top Bottom