Some leather work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dubs, that looks great!

Trying to get more shadows can be accomplished by compacting the area more. The denser the leather, the darker it will be. Just smoosh it down a little more next time. I go just a hair more than I think I should. When it dries (from wet working it, not the dye part), it always puffs back a little.

This is a poor photo of my second holster. It's not dyed, just sun tanned, and treated with olive oil. It's a crappy picture, but you can kind of see how the shaded area is... uh, you know, shaded. I think I uses 2 different sized pear shaders. I remember beating the crap out of it. I think I did this in 1990-something. 98, maybe.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v235_TheGunsOfElGuapo_Photo0536.jpg

Anyway smoosh your shading down a little more, and your shadows will "pop" more. Leave it in the sun. That will make it over all darker too.

Keep going! You are doing really great!

Dave, That is a sweet looking rig! it had decent shadows I just think the dye pretty much covered it all up. I will beat it a little harder next time though! lol

It looks awsome but you made it sideways, Try again.

I uncovered a few left over leather tools while clearing out the bedrooms for floor refinishing...Come by and I will give them to you.

Donald

Man thanks! I really appreciate that. I will PM you my cell # and we can work something out.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well this is a new hobby for me. this is my second piece since I started. the first was a coaster above. it going to be a Cuff 2" band. tooled, beaten in the driveway and up against a tree then antiqued.it is still going to get 2 coats of tan coat on it. I know there was some tooling mistakes on this one. Fortunately the beating I gave it covered most of them. It will get dull brushed nickel snaps on it.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom