Some more college related stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So not to hijack Slugger's college thread I'm starting this one.

First off, several of the respondants said they never went to college, others said they never finished. Well, one of life's lessons for me is:

Just because a person doesn't have a degree doesn't mean they're dumb, and just because a person has a degree doesn't mean they're smart. I'm a perfect example of the second part of that. I realized that when I went to work here at the paper mill. I know folks that couldn't finish high school, but can damn sure run a paper machine! I now work side by side with kids that I taught. They carried C and D grade averages in school, but learned the ins and outs of our recycling department faster than I did. My point is, there are more than one kind of intelligence. I have fairly high vocabulary and reading intelligence, but I'm way down on the list in mechanical intelligence. Our schools need to do a better job of identifying the strengths and weaknesses in students, and try to develop each to the fullest.

Next, who else graduated from Cameron at Lawton? I was one of the last classes to graduate fro m Cameron College. Not long after, it became Cameron University.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife is from Lawton and did two years @ Cameron before transferring to OU. She would have graduated at Cameron, but they didn't have a Special Education degree at the time. Cameron has been revamped a lot in the last twenty years - dropped the football program and agriculture programs. Now it is set up as more of a commuter school and provides a good opportunity for GI's and retirees returning to school. Also the Comanche Nation has established the Comanche Nation College that provides transition services for Native students entering college; it is accredited through Cameron.

Cedar Creek

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My best friend is one of the smartest people i know and he didnt even finish high school. It wasn't because he didnt want to but because his dad ended up becoming disabled and he had to work to pay the bills for the 2 of them.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just because a person doesn't have a degree doesn't mean they're dumb, and just because a person has a degree doesn't mean they're smart.

My previous job was a mechanical engineer. We had engineers who had zero college. The were promoted because they could solve problems.

Our schools need to do a better job of identifying the strengths and weaknesses in students, and try to develop each to the fullest.

You can thank No Child Left Behind for this not happening.

We're lucky in Oklahoma because we have CaeerTech (Vo-Tech) where a kid not interested in going to college can still get career training. Interesting note. A lot of these same kids go on to college after they finishing.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many memories brought up. Now, many have said they attended various schools and some had a hard time or boring time with the basic classes, which I think most if not all of us were and would be in those days, because it was all the same thing for two years over again. One of the comments was a non degree person, think Old Fart said it got promoted, well, that is great and they should be. Thing I saw or encountered after I got into the "corporate world", if you will, not that that I was high up and wasn't, but corp. politics, or business politics if you will are as bad as the real or gov't politics, once we all got there, and it made no difference how big the business was or is. The bigger the company then the more like gov't, if you will, politics. I found out later on how business politics are and this is many years ago, if you will. Any way, with computers, internet and so forth, you have, young ones that is, advantages, BUT be careful where and what you post from the young ones I know now. I know, i got off track here, and I always do, but just thoughts from myself after 28 years in a world of business politics. One thing I learned and stood by and this will sound stupid, silly or whatever to you young ones, but "What goes around comes around".
What I am saying is if you do your job to the best of your abilities and some one else is trying to discredit your good work, don't try to get even. They will hang themselves. Trust me. I saw it too many times. I had too many young ones try to discredit me and my working crews and they just hung themselves and all I did was do my job.
Sorry fellows/gals this brought up a lot of memories, and yes I am ranting, just want you all to know what can happen, and again, I firmly believe what goes around comes around and it did to those that tried to: KISS THE BOSSES ASS. I retired at 51 and I am not rich, but very happy and comfortable and the rest of them are still trying to kiss something else.
Thanks for reading my rant.
Old Lone Wolf.

Latest posts

Top Bottom