Sprinfield 1911 broke slide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squared1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
image.jpeg
was firing my 1911 today and started on second mag and got to the 3 rd shot and the front 2" of the slide broke off and flew forward. Has anyone had this happen and how is springfields customer service. I was using Remington 230 grain bullets at the time

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you're saying the barrel is bulged in the middle? Did you buy the gun new?

I don't think it's bulged, it just looks that way in the light. My Springfield barrel looks a little funny to me, too, kinda like it has a "reverse taper"... like it's heavier/fatter towards the end. I don't think there's a bulge in that barrel in the pic, though, I think it's just an optical illusion from the light/shadow.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think it's bulged, it just looks that way in the light. My Springfield barrel looks a little funny to me, too, kinda like it has a "reverse taper"... like it's heavier/fatter towards the end. I don't think there's a bulge in that barrel in the pic, though, I think it's just an optical illusion from the light/shadow.
Ok, I see that. Yeah, supposed to be bigger on the end.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm seeing something other than barrel taper. Also looks to me like at least one of the barrel lugs is bent. It might also be an illusion, but it may be signs of the underlying issue. In any case, SA will be able to determine what happened.

Latest posts

Top Bottom