Sprinfield 1911 broke slide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Actually D V, you are the mistaken one;
Yes, preload will obviously change when removing coils, but the tension isn't changed at all.
I maintain that a 16# spring will remain a16# spring even with coils removed.
If necessary, I will provide the mathematical equation for proof.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

There's no tension, ever. It's a compression spring.

Spring constant is based in part on the number of coils. Change the number of coils, change the spring constant.

You are effectively increasing the amount of force/energy each coil must take by cutting coils.

By removing coils and length, the spring is generating less force at a given amount of compression. So no, a "16# spring" is no longer a 16# spring if you cut off some of the coils. It is the same spring per unit length, but that does not mean it's still the same spring.

Squared1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
image.jpeg

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright I got her back today with a packing list that say replaced slide and front site looks good I plan on calling tomorrow and see if I can get some more info

Gun makers are notorious in not giving much info. The reason is this litigious society we live in. Don't expect a reply beyond "hey we fixed it; does it look okay?" You have to admit that Springfield Armory fully lived up to their end of the deal.

It's possible and even likely that they gave the rest of the gun a good look-over and may have replaced a few small parts here and there if it looked like they needed it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom