Sprinfield 1911 broke slide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzlywinmag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may be mistaken, but I don't believe that removing coils from the spring changes the tension.
A 16 pound spring will remain a 16# spring even if some coils are removed. All you are doing is changing the slide travel distance, which in the case shown is a bad thing.
So of course I agree that cutting the spring is a no no. Replacement spring kits are relatively inexpensive and should be the only way to tune a pistol to specific ammo. Spring also should not be lightened or shortened to make easier to rack the slide.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry gwm, but you are definately mistaken. If you shorten a spring you change the "pre-load" which will allow the slide to accelerate faster and slam the frame harder. It will in no way change the slide travel distance, just make it travel the same distance faster, which increases rearward momentum, which places a lot more stress on the slide when is comes to that sudden stop at the end. Looking at the pic its impossible to tell if the spring was cut or broken at the time of failure.

Also, what ever happened to the old "shock-buff" buffers?

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn still recommend shock-buffs for 1911s (given you are responsible enough to change them out regularly). I don't know how much value that has.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a guide rod system back in the 90s, I don't recall who made it, but it's a stainless rod that looks to be fitted into a spring guide plug with the rod turned down to accept a spring between the rod and the guide. The recoil spring plug at the front of the slide would catch an enlarged part of the guide rod about 1/4" from full rearward travel and the other spring between the rod and guide would cushion the shock of the slide. I tried it on a whim because I was tired of replacing shock-buffs. I'm still using it to this day. It does make it hard to lock the slide back manually though, really gotta get a run at it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry gwm, but you are definately mistaken. If you shorten a spring you change the "pre-load" which will allow the slide to accelerate faster and slam the frame harder. It will in no way change the slide travel distance, just make it travel the same distance faster, which increases rearward momentum, which places a lot more stress on the slide when is comes to that sudden stop at the end. Looking at the pic its impossible to tell if the spring was cut or broken at the time of failure.

You can shorten the spring on a trigger to make it lighter, but never on a slide.

grizzlywinmag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Actually D V, you are the mistaken one;
Yes, preload will obviously change when removing coils, but the tension isn't changed at all.
I maintain that a 16# spring will remain a16# spring even with coils removed.
If necessary, I will provide the mathematical equation for proof.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Squared1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is at Springfield they said to call them next week. I didn't cut the spring not sure if part it didn't go down range with the end of the slide had to go retrieve the parts down range didn't really look at the spring until after hoping to hear something next week

Latest posts

Top Bottom