Sprinfield 1911 broke slide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recall reading that Colt had issues with the slides on the M45A1 cracking in that same location during testing. I believe they made changes to the front cocking serrations to solve that problem.

When was the last time you changed the recoil spring?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like 2 coils have been cut off recoil spring and frame was beating slide to death.
A standard recoil spring is 33 coils so that fully compressed the slide will not contact the frame.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see any bulging or lug damage, just shadows and pic quality. I have not heard of Springfield slide separation, usually it is the barrel on older springfields. They should get you fixed up without too much difficulty if you were using factory ammunition and the gun hasn't been modified. At full rearward travel, the slide contacts the recoil spring guide which is butted up against the frame to stop rearward travel, NOT the recoil spring itself, any spring that is forcibly compressed against itself will shortly self destruct.

Last edited:

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looks like 2 coils have been cut off recoil spring and frame was beating slide to death.
A standard recoil spring is 33 coils so that fully compressed the slide will not contact the frame.
A1911 recoil spring should never be fully compressed!
Dv us knows what he's talking about. The guide rod base is what goes between frame and slide.
Can't tell 100% from the pics what the deal is, SA will fix it

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If the OP bought the gun used, and the spring had been shortened by the previous owner*, shooting a lot of full power loads will batter the frame and slide. If done so, that is the weakest, well, most stress prone, point on the slide from a hard stop.

So, OP, was the gun new? If not new, have you replaced the recoil spring? How was recoil with the gun? Did it seem like there was a hard slam at the rearward extent of slide motion?

*a really BAAAD way of reducing spring pressure for lighter loads - if you want to shoot light loads, buy a lighter spring

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How old is the pistol? If its around 15-20 years old the slide is part of a batch of bad heat treat or material on a number of 5" SS slides. I saw one break in a manner identical to yours on a range while being fired. No damage to shooter. Springfield Armory repaired the gun at no cost. Get in touch with them.

Just a FYI, not a great idea to cut coils off a spring for any gun to make it work. If you need a different spring rate go buy what you need. Especially for the 1911 they are readily available online

Latest posts

Top Bottom