Springfield 87A finally got glass. Now with range report.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelleysgunshop

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Those are really accurate little rifles. I think my scope mounts are fairly correct, they were put on when it was new.
38BBF8D3-B751-4885-A801-956F3431173A.png

MDNimrod

New to the site!
Reaction score
For the future internet searches that lead to this post.

Here is what i used.

WEAVER Side Mount Base - #2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Weaver Side Mount Base - 1-Inch High Bracket and Rings
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only catch is that I had to slightly modify the base itself since Savage used a 10/32 thread instead of the 8/40 screws included with the base.

First i had to get a couple of 10/32 screws and cut them to length. The diameter of the heads on the screws had to be turned down to fit the base, and the height of the head of the screw had to be shortened. Shortening the head of the screw left no purchase remaining for a screw driver, so I used a hacksaw to cut the slot deeper. The holes in the #2 base also had to be widened just enough to accommodate the 10-32 thread.
Hello. I'm new to this group. I found this thread recently and am trying to mount a scope on my Dad's old .22. Good news is the base, bracket and rings mentioned in the thread are still available. Bad news is it looks like the existing mounting holes on the old .22 are threaded in an odd size. There are 2 holes with screw in plugs at the rear of the reciever that fit a #10-32 screw. The other 4 holes that someone drilled and tapped are an odd size. #8-40 screws into the 4 holes but is loose, #10-32, #8-32 and M4 won't thread (see picture)
87A scope mounting holes.jpg
. Those pretty much cover the outside diameters I could find. Is it possible to drill and tap the 4 odd holes to a #10-32? Thanks for any advice. MD Nimrod

Attachments

• 87A scope mounting holes.jpg
    87A scope mounting holes.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 0

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to this group. I found this thread recently and am trying to mount a scope on my Dad's old .22. Good news is the base, bracket and rings mentioned in the thread are still available. Bad news is it looks like the existing mounting holes on the old .22 are threaded in an odd size. There are 2 holes with screw in plugs at the rear of the reciever that fit a #10-32 screw. The other 4 holes that someone drilled and tapped are an odd size. #8-40 screws into the 4 holes but is loose, #10-32, #8-32 and M4 won't thread (see picture)View attachment 424484. Those pretty much cover the outside diameters I could find. Is it possible to drill and tap the 4 odd holes to a #10-32? Thanks for any advice. MD Nimrod

Before you change anything I would order the mount. Last one I got came with 8x40 screws. There might be a minor difference and just maybe you'll get lucky.

The existing 10x32 holes are for a peep sight.

If you do need to retap the holes:
Since 10x32 is a larger diameter than 8x40 it is theoretically possible to resize the holes.

Screenshot_20231028_185311_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231028_185409_Chrome.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom