Squirrel opens May 15th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just about a week and a half until squirrel season opens on May 15th.
Does anyone else look forward to this or am I the only one?

I have a 10 year old boy and a 6 year old boy that I will be taking this year on opening day, and both are excited about it. My 10 year old has gone before, but it will be a first for my younger son.
I believe youngsters need to get involved in hunting small game to develop their woodsman and outdoors skills, not to mention an appreciation of where food came from during our grandfather's time.

Anyone else hit the woods on squirrel season opening day?

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually wait till the leaves fall in the fall. If the lakes have water, I usually fish every chance I get. Goodluck to you and the boys. Good for getting them out.

It's hard for me too to not want to fish right now, lol. We've caught about 50 crappie this year so far between the three of us. But the boys want to break out the .22 so who am I to argue....

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always wondered about Lexington. I've only been out there once, to photograph some stuff. I've never been squirrel hunting, heck, haven't been hunting in over 10 years.

Is there a decent chance for a guy that's never been out on the land there to a few home?

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always wondered about Lexington. I've only been out there once, to photograph some stuff. I've never been squirrel hunting, heck, haven't been hunting in over 10 years.

Is there a decent chance for a guy that's never been out on the land there to a few home?

No, actually upon second thought there's no squirrels at all down there.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great for you getting your boys involved in hunting, almost a lost art in many areas. I got my first Daisy BB gun at 7 from my dad who would never shoot it or even hold it, handed me the box for my birthday and then only instructed me how to shoot with precision. I found out many years later (close to 40) he had been a sniper in the Army, guess he had his reasons for not holding it. Got to go on my first rabbit hunt with my 19 year old cousin using a real 22 when I was age 10. Shot three in the head as planned, he was amazed. Daisy BB guns were the way many of us who lived in "civilization" learned to shoot from the start. I still have my original, 58 years later. With a little WD-40 it still does pretty well. Enjoy your kids, they will have their own lives someday with a lot of memories.

I never understood how Mom thought "I should be careful, I could shoot my eye out". Must be a saying of that era.

If you were in the East of Tulsa area, you could get your limit around my place. ( Limit of squirrels, or a limit of ammo you brought, which ever comes first) I gave up on getting any pecans out of my trees after 3 years of trying to thin them out. Is there really a limited squirrel season? Have to check on that someday.

Have a great time.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is Oklahoma the only state that has an early Spring squirrel hunt? What year did they start this? Back when I started squirrel hunting around Vinita, back in the 60's and 70's, squirrel season was late Fall...

I may have to wipe the dust off my Ruger .22 pistol and see if I can't bust a bushy-tail or two....

DAVID

Latest posts

Top Bottom