Stand Your Ground law coming under scrutiny due to the Zimmerman/Florida incident

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SYG doesn't apply here because if the facts of the case support Zimmerman's claims, (that he was being pummeled on the ground and thus incapable of retreat) it would be judged by the "reasonable fear of grave bodily injury or death" standard. In other words, the lack of a SYG styled law would not affect whether Zimmerman was charged.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SYG doesn't apply here because if the facts of the case support Zimmerman's claims, (that he was being pummeled on the ground and thus incapable of retreat) it would be judged by the "reasonable fear of grave bodily injury or death" standard. In other words, the lack of a SYG styled law would not affect whether Zimmerman was charged.

I've been wondering about this scenario myself.

What if he was following him at a distance just to maintain his whereabouts for LEOs and Zimmerman was the one actually "hunted down"?
What if Zimmerman was in actual pursuit at the behest of the 911 dispatcher? SYG would have applied to Martin wouldn't it? (hypothetically, I know he wasn't old enough for a legal CCW and wasn't armed, just thinking out loud)

Way too little information to make anything out of this case. Which is the reason the media should be tarred and feathered.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are witnessing a modern day lynching.

Little known facts about the case.

"little" Trevon was 6'3", Zimmerman is 5'9"

Martin was suspended from school 3 times this year. In Feb. he was suspended 10 days for marijuana possession.

Zimmerman's mug shot is from a 2005 arrest for non violent resisting arrest which is not even on his record.

Martin was 17 years old rather than all these pictures showing a 14 year old kid.

When I first heard the story, I thought that some idiot went Clint Eastwood on a punk kid. Then the media lynching raised a bunch of red flags. I hope the investigation runs its course and that Zimmerman is not a bad guy. Regardless of outcome Zimmerman will have to change his identity and move.

Interesting to note all the outrage due to "vigilantism" and all the celebrities tweeting Zimmerman's address and the black panthers putting a bounty on the man. Guess vigilantism is ok if they do it. Bunch of hypocrites.

EDIT: Here is a well cited blog about the case. Looks like the Orlando Sentinel is at least doing their job compared to the rest of the media.

http://niecey456.com/2012/03/28/the-trayvon-martin-case-what-really-happened/

Last edited:

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Local newspaper hired a photo enhancement company to freeze frame Zimmerman as he was getting out of the patrol car... blow it up and enhance it. It shows what appears to be a large jagged gash in the back of his head. The photo was being broadcast on Fox News today.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The disgraced politicians and political hacks are having a field day.

According to disgraced, almost impeached former President Bill Clinton:
Former President Bill Clinton said the "tragedy" of the killing of Trayvon Martin should cause a re-thinking of the "Stand Your Ground" law.

"There are different stories being told," the former president said, "so the first thing I have to say is that it's important to find out the facts."

Clinton continued "but to me, beyond the incredible personal tragedy- this young man was not armed, he clearly presented no threat to anybody's life - is, the most important thing I've read was from the former police chief in Florida in the community, he was one of many law enforcement officers testifying against that Stand Your Ground law. And he said, you know this is going to create all kinds of problems. And it's going to be almost impossible to prove what was in someone's mind when a certain thing happened."

Clinton said "people have always had a right to have a handgun in their home- to protect their homes- then we've seen this breathtaking expansion of the concealed weapons laws in America moving from the late 90's into this decade, far - if you will - to the extreme that America had ever been on these.

"And now the Stand Your Ground law," he continued. "I think the law is going to create real problems because anyone can - anyone who doesn't have a criminal background, anyone not prohibited by the Brady Bill and caught by the checks - can basically be a part of a neighborhood watch where they have a concealed weapon whether they had proper law enforcement training or not. And whether they've had any experience in conflict situations with people or not.

"So I hope this will lead to a reappraisal of the Stand Your Ground laws," President Clinton said, "and I hope that the truth will come out and that the tragedy of this young man's loss will not be in vain- it's just terrible. Whatever the facts were - all these people trying to jump on him and talking about some mistake he made in his life- that's irrelevant because unarmed person who was killed on the street by a gun. And so I hope justice will be done in this case but I hope that the larger justice that would somehow redeem a portion of this terrible loss."
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...reappraisal-111305679--abc-news-politics.html

This is talking out of both sides our your mouth at it's finest. But it is clear he wants to roll back concealed carry laws.

B

Bill Mac

I just read this on the Internet. It was only a matter of time before Bloomberg and his Mayors Against Guns cronies got on board to call for a repeal of the Stand Your Ground laws. The tie in to soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan not being able to shoot first I thought was very tacky. I wonder how many of our service members agree with the Stand Your Ground doctrine to protect their families when they get home. War is Hell but it should not be compared to defending our families with the likes of Bloomberg.
http://news.yahoo.com/bloomberg-bla...ound-laws-223507086--abc-news-topstories.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom