Starter AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Smith and Wesson M&P

+1...I started out with a standard M&P 15 with a couple of upgrades (Yankee Hill Diamond Quad Rail and Magpul MOE Stock) and absolutely loved the rifle. I ended up upgrading to a BCM upper and couldn't be happier but S&W makes a great AR.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the DPMS Sportical for the money is the best buy. I look at all the replys and wonder why someone rates one brand better than another. I have Colts,Bushmasters,Sigs,Armalite,DPMS,Stag,and one built on a M&A kit. I have several "Frankinguns" that I built for matches that out shoot any factory rifle that I've seen tested. Ar's are like 1911's to me. After a certain dollar amount ,you are just paying for the name. The most accurate .45acp I ever saw test results on was a H&K Expert for $1200. A lot less money than a high end 1911.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a true starter gun, I'd second Del Ton. I have one that was cheap and has never failed on me. You can easily go up from there if you are looking for more. It's all about options and that is never truer than with an AR.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No problems with Stag so far about 4k rounds. The only No Bang I have had was a upside down primer, that slipped through my QA department LOL. Plus I echo alot of the brands that have been tossed out there all ready.

Outside of maybe CDNN's deals on the M&P-15, Stag is probably the best deal in the AR-15 world. I just hate that they put a dad-gum deer on the side of the receiver - still, I'd shoot the hell out of one with confidence.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

See I was thinking start would be $650-750. If we have an upper limit of $1000,... Im goin with EZ's picks or possibly a good deal on a COLT.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at some of the prices on BCM uppers, in whatever length you prefer: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Upper-Receiver-Groups-s/1.htm

The prices on the ones that come sans handguards are pretty decent, and they are top-end quality... all made to true military specs with intensive QC. Some of them are going for $385, plus another $135 for their bolt carrier group and charging handle (which I recommend getting). Not too bad at all.

I would buy a BCM upper and put it on a cheap lower. In fact, that's what I'm getting ready to do myself! Basically the upper is the firearm, and the lower is just there to drop the hammer. You can put together the lower by yourself if you want to save a little dough... it's pretty easy. I'm putting some MI-SS free float handguards on mine, but if you want to be cheap you could get some GI handguards for a pittance online. You would need sights or some form of optic, too.

And then what you REALLY need to do is to bring it to an Appleseed marksmanship clinic, and we'll show you how to put that rifle to good use from field positions on the Army Qualification Test. That will only cost you $70 for a weekend, and it is by far the best money you can spend on your rifle. Especially if you're just getting into rifles from handguns... it would really pay to learn rifles the RIGHT way from the start. Links are in my sig.

Latest posts

Top Bottom