State Question 779. Penny tax for teachers raises by the numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
At this point there are 7 pages of replies to this thread, which all I wanted people to do is know about the state question. I was not attempting to champion anything, I actually disagree with the sales tax, I just wanted people to think about it. As far as you opinion about my post, you should well be aware I could careless about what you think, specifically. I bet you do roll your eyes like a teenage girl.

You're not anyone's teacher on OSA and we don't owe you any "assignments". You'd do well to remember that, because you're now hurting the cause you're championing. :rolleyes2

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really am for higher teacher pay, have a daughter that graduates this year from Midwestern and plans on staying in Texas to teach. We need to retain these teachers in our own state. Starting pay where she is going is just a little over 50,000 per year compaired to 32ish here.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bixby would be effected very little with forced consolidation. Leonard k-8 would be likely sent to Bixby but that is about it. Consolidation is more of a rural thing than suburban. A more realistic example could be say Catoosa, Verdigris, Tiawah/Justus, and Inola together to become one district with pilot campuses at 2 of those locations. Another could be Foyil, Chelsea, Claremore Sequoyah, become one system. Oologah/Talala, and Claremore to make one large district in Rogers County with the others I have already mentioned to make a total of 3 districts in Rogers County instead of the present 9 or 10 now in the county. Just examples but boy start trying to convince any of those schools to voluntarily do it and there would be nothing done!!! This is just one county. Take all 77 and you will quickly see shifting from 530 or so down to say 200 would be more of a challenge than anyone could imagine. The right thing to do in order to save money, duplication of programs, fewer administrators, and best use of funds ABSOLUTELY. Getting it done well WAR!!!

I'm not worried about Bixby, but I would imagine that at least two schools would get rolled into the Bixby system.

I do not see the savings in administration fees when you shift those positions to other positions within the "district".

ETA: I would like to add that I am a bit worried about the districts that might get rolled into the Bixby system. These smaller districts produce kids with more sense, more exposure to hands on life sciences and are more down to Earth than students in large districts.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At this point there are 7 pages of replies to this thread, which all I wanted people to do is know about the state question. I was not attempting to champion anything, I actually disagree with the sales tax, I just wanted people to think about it. As far as you opinion about my post, you should well be aware I could careless about what you think, specifically. I bet you do roll your eyes like a teenage girl.

Meh, this is me not caring what you think either. BTW, its "care less" not "careless"! ;)

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought the panacea for our problems was the lottery and gambling? That is what they promised that a certain portion would go toward schools and educational areas.
You just can't trust politicians or ex-politicians, they got us into this economic mess and they darn sure aren't going to get us out.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why is the idea of merit pay, frequently used in many industries, and some government activities, always presented as outrageous in the context of schools? I am certain their would be growing pains and protests but to make it seem like chasing the Holy Grail seems a bit overblown. I am no education expert but can imagine a number of ways to implement merit pay or you could also keep pay stable and simply make retention contingent upon merit criteria. Successful passing rate for students, peer reviews, student and/or parent reviews. Right now the only thing I have seen consistently used as a "merit" system is continuing education for teacher (formal degree producing education) - rarely in a subject that is taught usually for "education" courses of dubious benefit to the student.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom