Steel Target

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might be surprised. I bought the same plates from the guy on the hide and at 500 yards my .308 would flip em right over. I had it mounted to a metal real estate sign and my chains were more vertical than yours.

The .223 will be fine but I bet that .338 flips it right over. I was shocked the first time I shot it.

If you are referring to those metal signs with two legs that they stab into the ground to hold their advertisement signs, then this frame is a lot sturdier than those frames.

This frame has angled legs to help absorb the force of the swinging and the chain will help dampen that. The chain between the legs will help make sure that the target legs dont extend any further and falls flat. So barring shooting the frame in half, I do not think it will flip over even with the 338. However, this Saturday will be a true test for the frame.

Or are you saying flipped around as in the sign flipped around a bar? I would like to see your real estate sign since most I have seen would probably just fall right over.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I accept your subjective and completely un-factually based evaluation of the .223 round and concede that it will not go past 600yds.

Amidoinitrite? :wink2:

Isn't that how most people try to argue on TEH INTRANETZ. Hehe. :teach:

Back to seriousness again, that graph is fantastic. I shall save it.

Those are not my evaluations but are those of a higher being!!! You would be best to join me in toe-ing the line and spreading the shortcomings of the 223.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
by my calculations it is impossible for the target to swing over the frame with the chains taut by being shot with a 338LM at 3000 feet per second. I estimate the plate weighs 12 pounds which is probably a little under weight and neglected the weight of and friction in the chains which would only make the scenario more difficult to happen.

The momentum of the bullet is 14.81 Ns and the momentum of the target would need to be 21.046 Ns instantly after the impact was over to make the swing with taut chains. This also doesn't take into account the particles of the bullet that are still moving with some velocity. if you subtract the particles momentum from what is transferred to the plate you will fall even shorter.

If we assume that all momentum from the bullet is transferred to the plate it would have an initial velocity of 2.72 m/s. Using this to calculate the energy to be 20.13 Joules and using m*g*h to calculate the max height it could achieve before it stopped (conservation of energy) it could only achieve 1.23 feet above its resting position. This would only be about 3" above the frame in space and not enough to allow an over bar swing. These calculations also neglected the mass of and friction in the chains.

QED: It will not swing over the bar by being shot with a 338 Lapua at point blank range.

Jeff3C

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are referring to those metal signs with two legs that they stab into the ground to hold their advertisement signs, then this frame is a lot sturdier than those frames.

This frame has angled legs to help absorb the force of the swinging and the chain will help dampen that. The chain between the legs will help make sure that the target legs dont extend any further and falls flat. So barring shooting the frame in half, I do not think it will flip over even with the 338. However, this Saturday will be a true test for the frame.

Or are you saying flipped around as in the sign flipped around a bar? I would like to see your real estate sign since most I have seen would probably just fall right over.

No the frame is fine as was the metal frame I had. I am referring to the AR500 flipping over the top bar if the chains are too long. It amazing how much force a .338 will hit with even at 1000 yards. It will probably be fine but you might have to shorten the chains a notch or two.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Equations I used:

Finding v or the speed at the top of the swing to keep the chains taut. Centripetal force compared to gravitational force.
mv^2/r = mg

Finding the velocity at the bottom (b) for the minimum condition at the top.
.5m(vt)^2 + mgh = .5m(vb)^2

Conservation of momentum.
mv = mv

The chains are at 18" so the target hangs from the pivot by about 12".

250gr bullet.

Jeff3C

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always painted my targets white or orange and after about 20 shots the whole target is black due to all of the bullet fragments. Try painting it black and then all you see is the silver mark where the bullet actually hits the target. You can spot a lot more shots between paint jobs.

okkaps

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good idea on the target stand..ive been trying to come up with a portable idea and that's a good one with the saw horse. If I could weld I'd be in business since I have access to plenty of metal plates.

**My banana doesn't die at 600 yds.....that one looks like he's been on the pipe though :D I'm just sayin'.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good idea on the target stand..ive been trying to come up with a portable idea and that's a good one with the saw horse. If I could weld I'd be in business since I have access to plenty of metal plates.

**My banana doesn't die at 600 yds.....that one looks like he's been on the pipe though :D I'm just sayin'.

I lol'd hard. Shooting regular mild steel isn't the best idea, but if you're far enough away you probably wouldn't have to worry too much. I'd make sure you have AR200 at a very minimum, but that will probably still distort from the impacts and increase the chance of splashback and ricochets. T1 is slightly harder at probably 250 brinell hardness, but AR500 is the way to go for shooting targets. If you buy once (or find once) they've got the potential to last a lifetime.

I made the frame with six, three foot joints of 2x4, two hinges from Lowe's, some screw in I bolts, some 5/16 chain and some el cheapo chain for the sides and fasteners for the chain on the sides. It probably took vdub and I two hours including two trips to Lowe's. Oh, yeah, two, 2.5" 1/2" grade 8 bolts with a washer, lock washer, and nut each to attach the chain to the target.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Equations I used:

Finding v or the speed at the top of the swing to keep the chains taut. Centripetal force compared to gravitational force.
mv^2/r = mg

Finding the velocity at the bottom (b) for the minimum condition at the top.
.5m(vt)^2 + mgh = .5m(vb)^2

Conservation of momentum.
mv = mv

The chains are at 18" so the target hangs from the pivot by about 12".

250gr bullet.

Why not just shoot the damn thing and see what it does.:owned3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom