Steve McQueen or Paul Newman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, Its been awhile and I'm confused. Did Steve jump the fence in the dirty dozen or the great escape?
Neither. He wasn't in The Dirty Dozen, and the insurance company wouldn't let him jump the fence in The Great Escape--that was Bud Ekins, his stunt double and riding buddy/instructor. He did, however, chase himself on the motorcycle--he played the German 'cycle rider who got clotheslined by the wire Hilts (McQueen) strung across the road.

He did drive the Mustang in Bullitt, though.

And McQueen is the King of Cool. McQueen > *

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Paul Newman. He actually won a championship as a race car driver. He served in WWII (though McQueen served, but after the war) as a radioman/turret gunner. In real life badassness, Steve McQueen just got a participation ribbon. Now, I'll admit I'm biased because Newman was a Nissan guy, like myself.

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He did drive the Mustang in Bullitt, though

Actually, that was Bud as well. McQueen arrived on set one morning and saw Bud doing all the high-speed jumps up and down the hills of SF. He asked Bud where he learned to drive like that the said "You did it to me again", referring to having to explain that it wasn't actually him doing the iconic GE motorcycle jump

I just watched an interview with Bud on Netflix this week where he talks about it. Can also be found on Bud's Wikipedia page

I think Newman was a better actor, and I agree Blinocac as far as real life cool, but McQueen was a way cooler personality

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
McQueen. He was notorious for showing up at motorcycle races, his agent and hollywood execs hated it but he was a helluva dirt racer and motorcycle rider. If you haven't seen why we ride you should there is some great footage of McQueen at races and playing in the dirt with friends. Although Newman i a close second, in his own right he was a very good race car driver.

Latest posts

Top Bottom