Stockyards On Short List For OKC Jail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's wrong with the current jail?
You mean aside from the fact that it has been a royal charlie foxtrot from the get-go? It was designed by people who knew ****-all about designing jails, so they made stupid design decisions like using windows big enough for a person to get through. They also made the super-genius move of putting staff offices below the prisoners' head, so they can plug up the sewer lines and flood the offices with raw sewage.

I knew someone who was working in the prison at the time, and he thought for sure they were going to condemn the building as being structurally unsound (mostly because they had an engineering report that said it was structurally unsound), but they ended up spending a heck of a lot of money to shore it up instead.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You mean aside from the fact that it has been a royal charlie foxtrot from the get-go? It was designed by people who knew f*ck-all about designing jails, so they made stupid design decisions like using windows big enough for a person to get through. They also made the super-genius move of putting staff offices below the prisoners' head, so they can plug up the sewer lines and flood the offices with raw sewage.

I knew someone who was working in the prison at the time, and he thought for sure they were going to condemn the building as being structurally unsound (mostly because they had an engineering report that said it was structurally unsound), but they ended up spending a heck of a lot of money to shore it up instead.

Ah. Sort of like the old comanche county courthouse that had the jail on the top floor so when the prisoners plugged the toilets, it went into all the courtrooms...

I see.

Stupid. And the people who approved this design was?

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no accountability for the way they spend tax dollars. Where is the building inspectors? They need to spend the money wisely as if it were theirs because it really is theirs-tax wise.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lets not forget the land off of Rockwell, East of Wheatland

Thats the land the Airport owns and rejected the offer. Doesnt make much sense to me to put it there to me, maybe I've seen too many movies, but all an escapee would have to do is climb up into the landing gear and get a free ride out of here.

As far as not being able to put it near a school, that eliminates almost all options in OKC. Theres at least one every mile.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah. Sort of like the old comanche county courthouse that had the jail on the top floor so when the prisoners plugged the toilets, it went into all the courtrooms...

I see.

The sheriff (JD Sharp) paid the price for it, but he had no say at all in it. That baby belonged entirely to the Oklahoma County Commissioners, who, naturally, paid no price for their colossal screwup.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I see.

The design was Frankfort Short and Bruza, if I'm getting it right. I grew up with the kids of Bruza, but the jail wasn't the only thing they designed that was faulty. I forget the other building, but it was a big deal back in the 80s and they were blocked from bidding on designing city stuff for a while. Take all this with a grain of salt as my memory for the details is sketchy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom