Stuck choke tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it is a FULL choke and not a STEEL FULL,
shooting steel shot through it can peen the threads.

I have had much better results using the external, screw in chokes for steel shot.
Internal chokes, open up a size. Never tighter than MOD, unless specified for steel.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
If it is a FULL choke and not a STEEL FULL,
shooting steel shot through it can peen the threads.

I have had much better results using the external, screw in chokes for steel shot.
Internal chokes, open up a size. Never tighter than MOD, unless specified for steel.
I started duck and goose hunting right about the time we had to switch to steel. Everybody was patterning different chokes and shot size. The process is really enjoyable and a bit of an eye opener. I’ve tried to explain to these kids the benefits of patterning and that chokes almost have a reverse effect on steel over lead. I explained to them that as the pellets pass through the choke, they don’t compress like lead but crash against each other and flare out. Sometimes causing a big hole in the center of the pattern.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This reminds me of the summer I got into soap operas. They just suck you in and pretty soon it's like, I just gotta know what happened!

I'm not sure but from your last picture, it seems like the area in question is still a little close to the vise.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started duck and goose hunting right about the time we had to switch to steel. Everybody was patterning different chokes and shot size. The process is really enjoyable and a bit of an eye opener. I’ve tried to explain to these kids the benefits of patterning and that chokes almost have a reverse effect on steel over lead. I explained to them that as the pellets pass through the choke, they don’t compress like lead but crash against each other and flare out. Sometimes causing a big hole in the center of the pattern.
Damn environmentalists! They also screwed up the land for us metaldetectorists.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Send me a size and I make you a plug.
USA made guns seem to run in the .615-.619 range. Euro guns seem to run bigger .620-.625. This is a Turkish made gun so I’m leaning on the bigger size. Some even claim as big as .629. It’s a crap shoot I guess

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
USA made guns seem to run in the .615-.619 range. Euro guns seem to run bigger .620-.625. This is a Turkish made gun so I’m leaning on the bigger size. Some even claim as big as .629. It’s a crap shoot I guess
You need a set of long reach internal dividers to get that dimension inside the bore for the correct plug.
If I were closer, I’d send you mine.
AF307926-D52E-4CEC-8D82-E23DA240C815.jpeg

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PM me an address and I make them up and mail them out Monday.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom