Stuck choke tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My DIL has a weatherby SA08. The tube is stuck really tight. I’ve soaked the barrel end in PB blaster, Hoppes, oil etc. I have the barrel in a vice with oak jaws. Can’t put to much pressure on the barrel so I am leveraging against the rib. I’m putting quite a bit of pressure on it an using a heat gun in the process with no luck. It’s the Mobilchoke system which my research tells me that this is a common issue. Any other suggestions?
First, have you spoken to Briley Choke Manufacturers in Houston, TX yet. Seek their input. They are the gurus of all thingys shotgunny. Kroil often works where others fail. Introduce at muzzle end as well as inside barrel at junction of barrel/choke cylinder. Making a dam in barrel just below choke/barrel junction allow soaking by flooding barrel above the junction level. Soak for several hours/days. Let soak, then add heat to external of barrel directly over thread area, for thermal expansion allowing Kroil to penetrate minute crevices formed through thermal expansion. Combine mechanical shock with thermal shock. Rap the thread area with a plastic hammer during thermal shock. This can take more arms than one is usually issued. Have a friend assist with rapping, covering barrel with protective covering to prevent finish damage, etc. For maximum thermal shock to promote breaking the thread bond, try placing barrel in freezer for an hour, apply torque with heat gun to external surface over thread area. In couple extreme situations, I've had to thermal shock several times. Also, might try tightening the choke prior to loosening during a thermal shock to break the bond. Using the dam/blockage just below junction line, apply dry ice inside barrel for maximum thermal shock. Dry ice also tends to introduce thermal harmonics as it rapidly, excessively cools metal. Also, shooting the shotgun alternately between attempts assists bond break with internal expansion stress. All else fails, send to Briley in Houston.

Latest posts

Top Bottom