Taurus handguns: Are they junk or a good deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MauserJoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm asking for informed opinions, not criticism from people who don't have experience with Taurus handguns.
I have been seeing some exceptionally good prices on new Taurus handguns, like the Millennium G2 9mm. I'm in the market for a small and easily concealable 9mm or .40 and these Tauruses don't look bad, but how do they REALLY perform in real life?
I've seen a lot of "Taurus pistols are junk" opinions on forums, but it seems that most of these people are just repeating what they've read elsewhere. I've owned a couple of Taurus handguns in the past - a Model 85 revolver and a PT92af semi-auto - and didn't have problems with them.
Who has had experience with the newer concealable Taurus models, and how did they work out for you?

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had several Taurus pistols over the years. I can say with a straight face that I trust their revolvers and their early model 92 clones. All of their latest semi-auto pistols...not so much...

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably 8 years ago now, I had a Taurus revolver in 22 LR. We parted company after it started failing to ignite 22 LR cartridges. I have no desire to acquire any more Taurus firearms.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had several Taurus pistols over the years. I can say with a straight face that I trust their revolvers and their early model 92 clones. All of their latest semi-auto pistols...not so much...

I completely concur with the above. Their ultralight rev is a great pistol, model 85, and the series 92/99. New pocket pistols I would pass on.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have a PT-45 (PT-145?) 45 cal striker fired; sent it back 3 times for light primer strikes. Each time it came back it worked for a few hundred rounds then had the same problem. Couldn't trust it, got rid of it.

Shodown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have a PT1911 and it worked great for me. Only had one stovepipe in the 1000 ish rounds I put thru it. I traded it for a Sig 1911 Scorpion Carry only because I got a sweet deal on it and a received a premium for the Taurus otherwise I'd still have it. My brother has a Raging Judge that that has been reliable to him as well. I can't comment the smaller pocket pistols and conceal carry guns though.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a pt-99af that was a good gun. The design was better than the Beretta parent copy, if you ask me. Cocked and locked, safety that was instinctive like a 1911. I traded it straight for a s&w 686 4", but I had no issues and would own one again. No experience with their revolvers or newer models.

omega21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned and extensively used Taurus' M607 .357 and M689 also in .357 (6" barrel). I still hunt pigs with a Taurus M44 (8 3/8" barrel) with a scope. Never had an issue with any of them, enjoyed all of them, and kinda regret selling the .357s. Are they S&W quality? No, but the price reflects that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom