Taurus handguns: Are they junk or a good deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLGAR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My one and only Taurus. I bought a new Millennium PT111 when they first came out. After firing two mags fairly fast the striker would not release when the trigger was pulled for several seconds then BANG!! Guess when it warmed up something was dragging but that was a scary situation. Sent it back to Taurus and they "polished the forcing cone" ??? Shot it a few more times and it delayed fire again. It was soon replaced by a Glock.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. I obviously don't live in OK, but I am trying to get the word out about Taurus. Their poor quality and attitude really bothers me.

I have to say that I while I sympathize with your initial issue I really can't see the problem with the outcome - they offered to replace the gun by shipping a replacement through an FFL. When I had a similar experience with a Rossi I worked through the dealer I made the original purchase from and the cost to me was nothing. Exorbitant fee structures and oddball procedures in a particular state aren't the fault of the firearms manufacturer.

I own a Taurus .380 Ultralight and it's an excellent little revolver.

Hack88

New to the site!
Reaction score
I have to say that I while I sympathize with your initial issue I really can't see the problem with the outcome - they offered to replace the gun by shipping a replacement through an FFL. When I had a similar experience with a Rossi I worked through the dealer I made the original purchase from and the cost to me was nothing. Exorbitant fee structures and oddball procedures in a particular state aren't the fault of the firearms manufacturer.

I own a Taurus .380 Ultralight and it's an excellent little revolver.

Your reply is very similar to most that I have received. Most believe that I have no basis for complaint, that Taurus tried to make good by offering to send a replacement revolver to a FFL and that my real complaint was with the state of Maryland, not Taurus. I hope that you all are correct that my poorly made unsafe revolver is just an isolated problem and not an indication of systemic issues at Taurus.

Frdep

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Raging Bull .44 Magnum at the Tulsa arms show for my wife to carry down in SE Oklahoma (black bears). The adjustable rear sight was loose, the cylinder was also very sloppy compared to my RedHawk. I found out Taurus had a lifetime warranty and sent it in. Got it back all cleaned up and fixed. The wife can handle the recoil fine do to the ported barrel. I've got no complaints about it. Shoots great and will handle Garrets big loads. I carry a PT740 in my pocket. Except for rusting on the slide, I've had no issues with fail to fire or feed. My only complaint is the rear sight adjustment is not very stable. it always comes out off adjustment after a few boxes fired. I'm looking for a set of night sights for it. I still like the pistol. I figure even if the sights are a little off, i can still hit a paper plate (or bad guy) at ten yards effectively.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experience Taurus makes decent bread-and-butter wheel guns for those who can't afford a Smith or Ruger. I would stick with their "boring" revolvers, steel or aluminum framed .38 and/or .357s.

The Taurus UltraLite series (aluminum frame snubbies) is not bad for CCW. The triggers tend to be better than S&W airweights. If you shop well, they run about $75-$80 cheaper than a Smith 642. For some customers that difference is very meaningful. It's the price of a pocket holster, 100 rds practice ammo, a range trip to break in the gun, maybe an HKS speedloader.

Occasionally Taurus wheelguns will ship pretty rough, there can be variation. I recommend buying them in person, so you can inspect the particular gun to verify timing, sight picture, fit and finish.

I have been scared away from trying Taurus semi-autos by comments like the ones in this thread, so no experience to contribute there.

Frdep

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
One more thing about the PT-740. They come with one 6 RND magazine. They are impossible to find. I found a set of three on Ebay for $139 up for bid. By the time you quit bidding they are over $50 a piece. I called Taurus and they are on back order at $32 a piece. I've been waiting for trees months so far.

Latest posts

Top Bottom