Taurus handguns: Are they junk or a good deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcox

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would stake my life on the 44 above. Never owned or shot a Taurus semi, but have plenty of their revolvers and never had one NOT go bang!!!!

Sorry I was speaking of the semi-auto guns. Though I have seen several Rossi R351 revolvers come in with the hammer pin broken off.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I trust their revolvers. I had a Model 65 with a 4 inch barrel and it was amazing. I was as good as my Smith Model 66 (no dash) with a 2 1/2 inch barrel.
My dad had a .44 Special from Taurus (whatever model that is) and it was perfect!
I'm looking into their Model 608 in .357 Mag.
Their semis are 50/50 besides their 1911's and 92/96 clones. The only semi other than those I like is their 700 series like the 709 and 740.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hack88

New to the site!
Reaction score
Junk!

In Jan 2013, I purchased the 380 Mini revolver. It was the worst firearms purchase of my life! The trigger is horrible. But more than that, the cylinder would jam at least 3-4 times out of every 50 rounds. To free the jam the cylinder had to be rotated manually, as the trigger cannot be depressed once the cylinder jammed. This is a terrible situation for a firearm intended for concealed carry! Since that time I tried cleaning, polishing and working in the revolver. After running several hundred rounds through the revolver, the jamming (and trigger) never improved so this year I sent the revolver back to Taurus for a warranty repair.

While it is true Taurus has a lifetime warranty, Taurus customer service is horrendous. First, I had to ship the revolver back to them at my expense. Next, while their on-line tracking system acknowledged receipt of the revolver, the status never progressed past under review. So after 3 months, I called Taurus. I was informed that the revolver was unrepairable because the frame had been improperly drilled with some of the holes (including the one for the firing pin) misaligned. Taurus offered to ship a replacement revolver to an FFL but the catch is that I'd be responsible for the FFL fees. This presented a problem for me as the FFL fees for handguns is expensive in my home state of Maryland as a result of legislative changes that went into effect in Oct 2013. Without going into all of the details, it would cost me about $200 to receive the handgun from an FFL because I do not have the Maryland handgun purchasing license. I tried explaining this to Taurus and asked if they could either send the replacement revolver directly to me, which is permitted under Maryland law (I even gave them a link to the state police website), or provide a refund. Taurus refused and referred me to their policy on their website.

Two points are noteworthy: 1) It is unknown how wide-spread this the problem is. All I know is that my revolver was manufactured incorrectly and Taurus' quality control did not detect the problem. Taurus is returning my revolver with a letter saying that it is "unsafe". I do not know how many other "unsafe" Taurus revolvers are out there but Taurus seems to be in no hurry to warn its customers. 2) Taurus is hiding behind its company policy (posted on the website) to explain the fact that their remedy for the unsafe revolver would result in extensive charges to their customer. The fact that Taurus' sloppy manufacturing and poor quality control resulted in a unsafe firearm being delivered to their customer and the fact that the customer had this unsafe firearm for 2 years does not seem to bother the company.

As a result, I cannot recommend the 380 mini revolver and advise against having any dealings with Taurus.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We won't sell Taurus because we do not want to deal with the hassle of returning firearms to Taurus for customers. In all honesty, if Taurus is your price point, save a little more or buy a Hi Point.

Wow, I feel a little sheepish now. :(

Anyways, I have 4 Taurus (Tauri?) firearms... 3 semis and a revolver.

PT145 (Millineum) - bought new, sub-$400 gun at Wanenmacher's a few years ago. Very very stiff magazines, but functions flawlessly, several thousand rounds through it at this point.

PT140 (Millineum) - bought used at a pawn shop, 1 mag, stainless slide. Functions flawlessly, coupla hundred rounds through it.

Model 608 revolver - neat quirky gun - 8-shot .357, 6" barrel. Bought used from an individual, worked well for maybe 100 rounds, now it has 1 mistimed cylinder. On its way back to Taurus for free lifetime warranty.

709 Slim - tiny 9mm bought for the wife, used, from Sooner State Pawn. Never worked right, I think the extractor is bad. On its way back to Taurus for free lifetime warranty.

So, I'm 2 for 4 being functionally perfect. If they fix the other two, then I'll be happy and keep them, but I don't expect I'll be buying any more. No complaints about my PT140 and PT145, though. None at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom