Taurus handguns: Are they junk or a good deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two Taurus revolvers. A Raging Bull 444 with 8" barrel and a UL with 2.25" barrel. Both are .44 magnums. The Bull with the 8" barrel is reliable and is really very well built. It is a superior firearm. The UL on the other hand would not extract empties, unless the shells were lubed. I had to take a hammer and philips head screw driver to pound out empties.

Now, that being said, Taurus honored their lifetime warranty and fixed the Ultralite. They emailed me a label and FedEx came out and got the revolver at no cost to me.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.... The UL on the other hand would not extract empties, unless the shells were lubed. I had to take a hammer and philips head screw driver to pound out empties.

Now, that being said, Taurus honored their lifetime warranty and fixed the Ultralite. They emailed me a label and FedEx came out and got the revolver at no cost to me.

For comparison, I'll relate a nearly identical experience - except mine was with four of the six chambers of a Ruger Blackhawk chambered for .30 Carbine. Problems can happen, and while I'd prefer they didn't happen to me I'll not knock a manufacturer for standing behind their product and correcting them.

smokeyokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to own an old 99 and it was a very good gun. I currently own a Model 627 revolver that is very good and reliable. Some buddies of mine gave me a Judge a couple of years ago. It is fun to shoot but is not very accurate with 45LC. I maybe only have 150-200 rounds through it at this time so really cant confirm any reliability issues..

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm asking for informed opinions, not criticism from people who don't have experience with Taurus handguns.
I have been seeing some exceptionally good prices on new Taurus handguns, like the Millennium G2 9mm. I'm in the market for a small and easily concealable 9mm or .40 and these Tauruses don't look bad, but how do they REALLY perform in real life?
I've seen a lot of "Taurus pistols are junk" opinions on forums, but it seems that most of these people are just repeating what they've read elsewhere. I've owned a couple of Taurus handguns in the past - a Model 85 revolver and a PT92af semi-auto - and didn't have problems with them.
Who has had experience with the newer concealable Taurus models, and how did they work out for you?
Hit and miss, Buy a Ruger instead

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Taurus Gaucho SAA for a number of years... It was a fun gun to shoot, and what I could afford at the time. I can't think any any real issues I had with it, but I can remember it wasn't something I had much faith in. I babied it as much as possible knowing Taurus' reputation for making gypsy firearms. It's will always be my secret shame...

My BiL had one of their Millennium striker-fire polymer pistols... Amongst a bevy of shortcomings, FTL/FTF/FTE, sluggish trigger, disappearing finish, and the inability to group off a sled, he still defended his choice out of pure hurt pride. He has since wised up and gone up a single step to an XD40

My cousin had a Judge. It was a fantastic gun. Truly fun to put shells through until the problems started... a failing yoke and cylinder gap issues... but to be fair, Taurus has honored their warranty each of the four times he sent it in that summer. He has since sold it off as it was more of a novelty gun.

Statistics are inevitable. All firearms manufacturers have their shortcomings... some more than others.

All the same, I have a friend with a PT1911. That thing has rock solid and reliable over the few years he's had it. Thousands and thousands of rounds have been shot through it, and it's accurate as hell. The only thing he did to it was replace everything except the frame and slide.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Taurus Gaucho SAA for a number of years... It was a fun gun to shoot, and what I could afford at the time. I can't think any any real issues I had with it, but I can remember it wasn't something I had much faith in. I babied it as much as possible knowing Taurus' reputation for making gypsy firearms. It's will always be my secret shame...

My BiL had one of their Millennium striker-fire polymer pistols... Amongst a bevy of shortcomings, FTL/FTF/FTE, sluggish trigger, disappearing finish, and the inability to group off a sled, he still defended his choice out of pure hurt pride. He has since wised up and gone up a single step to an XD40

My cousin had a Judge. It was a fantastic gun. Truly fun to put shells through until the problems started... a failing yoke and cylinder gap issues... but to be fair, Taurus has honored their warranty each of the four times he sent it in that summer. He has since sold it off as it was more of a novelty gun.

Statistics are inevitable. All firearms manufacturers have their shortcomings... some more than others.

All the same, I have a friend with a PT1911. That thing has rock solid and reliable over the few years he's had it. Thousands and thousands of rounds have been shot through it, and it's accurate as hell. The only thing he did to it was replace everything except the frame and slide.

i.imgur.com_NexUWcYh.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

Well said, TwoForFlinching. We all have our secret shames.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a model 905 9mm 5-shot revolver. In the little bit of shooting with it so far, I've been pleased with its performance. I did buy some better moon clips for it since the ones that come with the gun are junk. I also changed the grips since just to make it a little appealing (to me).

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_15_01_23_b3071cac6db80b4d5a4d3346e0434c0b.jpg

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Owned a 1911 in 9mm. Very accurate and reliable for the short time I owned it. I remember I had an issue with it not staying open on the last round. Called Taurus on a Tuesday afternoon, and was literally on the phone with them for 10 mins. Determined it was the slide stop and they had a replacement to me by Thursday. I was very impressed. I am not going to lie, I am a bit of a brand snob and spend a little extra for the "better" brands. I think a Sig, Colt, HK whatever will hold its value better in the long run so you may not be saving anything by paying less initially in terms of resale value.

Latest posts

Top Bottom