Taurus Judge questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Caution on the 20 gauge youth model. They may actually produce more felt recoil than a full size 12 gauge. I know the Rossi youth model 20 gauge will hurt you, especially with anything more than light field loads. I can't speak for an 870 youth since I've never shot one of them.

The Judge is undoubtably one of the most polarizing guns ever produced. While I agree that they don't look impressive in water tests I still can't shake the thought that if I was the bad guy and someone put a load of #6's in my face from across the room, I'd probably start rethinking my career choices.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As we learn with the .45acp... Heavier, slower rounds equal more energy

Yeah, I understand that, to a point, with a larger mass projectile you can end up with a higher energy but that is not infinite and you can't compare "energy" of sub-projectiles with that of a single .38 just by adding up the total of the multi-projectile round.

Comparing a cartridge that fires one projectile to a shell that fires multiple without considering penetration is flawed. It is NOT the equivalent of XX amount of .38s because each sub-projectile does not have equal performance and is not penetrating anywhere near the .38.

In order to do an accurate comparison, if you wanted to truly compare it to a .38, you would have to measure the weight, velocity, and penetration of each sub-munition and compare that to an equal number of .38s.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WinPDX1 .38+p 130gr muzzle energy peak is 260 ft.lbs. of energy... The PDX1 .410 load muzzle energy peak is damn near 1300 in a 2.5" shell

As we learn with the .45acp... Heavier, slower rounds equal more energy

No offense, but since I teach physics, I feel obligated to point out that none of this is correct.

ENERGY = mass X speed X speed

MOMENTUM = mass X speed

As with horsepower and torque in vehicles, everyone talks about energy, but momentum is what gets the job done making a projectile penetrate.

Since speed is multiplided TWICE into ENERGY, energy drops off twice as fast as speed. Therefore, one must know the actual speed at impact, not what is printed in a chart. It is a common mistake among those who worship at the altar of energy in projectiles to overestimate the speed at impact.

Round balls are very inefficient ballistically, and lose speed very rapidly, especially the smaller shot (d cubed relationship).
Therefore, the calculations have to be done for each individual projectile, not by pretending it is the same as a larger solid bullet.

I have no feelings about the heavy short-barreled handguns either way (shot one, don't own one), but trying to fudge the numbers as if they were a regular shotgun or pretend it is the same as a solid bullet is intelectually dishonest. They are strictly a point-blank weapon (with shot) against people. Friend says it is the best tractor gun for snakes he ever bought.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just for giggles, I did an impromptu test.

Range was 5'. Target was 2x4
Ammo: federal 000 buckshot, Hornady .45 Colt Leverevolution 225gr. and Winchester .38 special 125 gr. jfp.

Shooting the board with 000 buck resulted in complete penetration, splitting the board, and throwing both sides 4' away.
Shooting the other board with the .45LC punched a hole through with some damage to the back side. The .38 did the same.

image-1836456107.jpg

image-3986804089.jpg

image-1746258206.jpg

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Caution on the 20 gauge youth model. They may actually produce more felt recoil than a full size 12 gauge. I know the Rossi youth model 20 gauge will hurt you, especially with anything more than light field loads. I can't speak for an 870 youth since I've never shot one of them.

The Judge is undoubtably one of the most polarizing guns ever produced. While I agree that they don't look impressive in water tests I still can't shake the thought that if I was the bad guy and someone put a load of #6's in my face from across the room, I'd probably start rethinking my career choices.

I've always thought the 20ga had a keener kick to it than the 12ga... Like a .40SW to the .45acp

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, no discussion after seeing what the rounds can do from a Judge? Crikets? :grumble:

LOL. Nope. Not unless I'm worried about getting attacked by a 2x4. Birdshot does a mess of damage to a 2x4 up close too...but that doesn't mean it penetrates a human body (which is much tougher than a 2x4) enough to reach and destroy vital organs and/or cause massive tissue damage and bleed-out.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL. Nope. Not unless I'm worried about getting attacked by a 2x4. Birdshot does a mess of damage to a 2x4 up close too...but that doesn't mean it penetrates a human body (which is much tougher than a 2x4) .

Bird shot from a judge is for birds. Same target, same distance.
What do I have to do? Buy a pork butt, and put some denim in front if it to prove the issue? Cuz you know I will. Lol!

image-1384050232.jpg

image-2822261440.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom